ADD / ADHD Forum

who me, with ADHD?

well, my problem is that i have a real hard time paying attention in class, and its also realy hard for me to keep still. it feel like i have to move my feet or my arms every five seconds. I keep hearing these thinks about add and adhd. well i dont know if i have it or if its just all in my head becuase its my last year of high school and everyone says 12 grade is the most stress full year. But if  do have add or adhd, i wont know how to tell my dad. I told him that its hard for me to  pay attention in class and all he said was "if you cant pay attention then you wont graduate". (some help he is.)
please, i need help and advice.
    grade 12 can be stressful because you have a lot of serious decisions to make with very little experience in how to make adult choices, so hang in there. Teens with ADHD typically have the following sorts of problems: controlling fidgeting, sustaining attention to boring tasks, completing and turning in work, time management and loosing their stuff. Young women with ADHD often primarily complain of trouble paying attention, though they can also have problems with impulse control (giving in to temptation without thinking--such as shoplifting, sex, cutting class or smoking). ADHD does not spring up 'out of nowhere', so if you are having your symptoms all of a sudden, it is less likely to be ADHD and more likely to be situational stress. Only an assessment will tell you for sure.

Because you are under 18 (I assume) and do not have your own health insurance, you will need to get Dad on board. I would meet with your guidance counselor or school psychologist and describe your problems. Ask that person to serve as a 'go between' to help your father understand what you are going through and what kind of help you need. You may also be able to find a coach, relative, or clergy member who could do this for you if the school staff are not helpful. Keep trying until you get someone who is willing to listen! I am sure your father does not love the idea of you not graduating and working fast food for the rest of your life, so he may come around given time.

Best Wishes
Rebecca Resnik
Fearing autism, many parents aren't vaccinating their kids. Can doctors reverse this dangerous trend?
Yummy eats that will keep your child healthy and happy
What to expect in your growing baby
Is the PS3 the new Prozac … or causing ADHD in your kid?
Autism expert Dr. Richard Graff weighs in on the vaccine-autism media scandal.
Could your home be a haven for toxins that can cause ADHD?