ADD / ADHD Community
3.37k Members
Avatar universal


I am 17, and have been on ADD meds for the past two years, as I was diagnosed with moderate to severe ADD.  This year I am living away from home, on a college campus, but i'm still in high school.  I am currently off of the meds because my parents did not support me being on them, but I feel that my ADD is crippling me and holding me back from success.  I would like to see the doctor here at the wellness center to see about going back on adderall, but I don't know if I can do this without parental consent.  If I have to get parental consent than I cannot get the medication.  Is there any way around this?, where I could get the prescription without my parents knowing?  
1 Responses
Avatar universal
If your health insurance is through your parents, they will likely receive the pharmacy receipts.  However, you could fill your prescription at the pharmacy WITHOUT using your insurance card.  Methylphenidate (generic for Ritalin) is available at Wal-mart for $4 for a 30-day supply.  This is the cheapest of the traditional ADD meds.  Adderall XR, Concerta, etc are more expensive.  Call the pharmacies and get price quotes; some may charge less than others.  Generic adderall is reasonably priced, though not $4.  For starter, you could make an appointment and the health center and see what the doctor says about your options.  Best wishes.  
Have an Answer?
Top Children's Development Answerers
189897 tn?1441130118
San Pedro, CA
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Fearing autism, many parents aren't vaccinating their kids. Can doctors reverse this dangerous trend?
Yummy eats that will keep your child healthy and happy
What to expect in your growing baby
Is the PS3 the new Prozac … or causing ADHD in your kid?
Autism expert Dr. Richard Graff weighs in on the vaccine-autism media scandal.
Could your home be a haven for toxins that can cause ADHD?