fluorescent light a problem for you?

I do know that many people with sensitive central nervous system are affected by fluorescent light (causing flickers that are hardly perceptible, but overloading the brain). I am really interested in hearing how many of you can relate to this kind of problems.  This kind of flickering light is used in most TV screens, computer monitors and is present in most public places. Compact energy saving light used in many homes emits the same flickering light.

Some people experience migraines, brain fog, dizziness, memory problems, nausea and in rare cases epileptic seizures when exposed for a longer period of time - especially if already under stress in other areas of life.

If I go into a supermarket with fluorescent light, or work with my computer I slowly go into a kind of dreamlike, nauseous brainfog and I lose  all normal sense of consequences. Instead of leaving the store or the computer I start wondering around aimlessly, inable to leave, or browse the internet until I'm almost unconcious from the nausea and dizziness.

Ten minutes of exposure takes twenty minutes to snap out of. 50 minutes of exposure affects me with severe brain fog until about 24 hours later.  I also get migraines.

Recent studies have shown that fluorescent lights increases anxiety and autistic behaviour in people with autism/aspergers.

What is your experience? Please, comment!

Thanks to all of you!
hi! I know this post is old but found it on a google search and just wanted to say you are not alone! I do get this feeling sort of hazy disoriented feeling ("fish bowl head") that I have never been able to describe but your post is the closest I have seen! I am a college student they are all over my university have just recently made this connection and it *****!! at least I know now & I can try to find a place to sit where I am not directly under them!
Throughout high school I was plagued by brain fog caused by fluorescent lights.  Thinking back I got very high marks in classes that had big windows letting in natural light and I got poor marks in classes that had only fluorescent lights.  When I was a little boy I was extremely uncomfortable going to places like Kmart where the not only did the lights make me light -headed but I could hear the oscillations produced by the ballast.  (These were harmonics produced by the low frequency ballasts.  I remember I could hear this as screaching)   This followed me into my work when I was not able to work in companies that had the older style fluorescent lights, I had a brain fog that caused me to fail on the job.  I didn't find out about the cause of this until the last five years or so.  I am an electronics person so I understand the technical aspects of how the fluorescent lights work.  The modern high frequency ballasts don't seem to affect me and I can work under them normally.  
Yes indeed!!! I have struggled with the "Fish bowl head" since childhood. That is a great way to capture the essence of such a "detached/spacy" feeling. It makes it real hard to converse with friends (without feeling awkward or displaced) and often results in mega headaches contributing to irritability and desire to isolate. I think meds worsen my reaction to the lights....something about how they work with the CNS plays havoc on me!!!
Wow I was just at work telling a coworker I think the lights set off my migraines and I can't remember things as clearly after I take a certain kind of generic adderall...
Finally I have something I made my husband read!
i think you have migraine associated dizziness. Check out the site: www.mvertigo.org. It'll redirect you to a database forum. I learned a lot from there. Need to treat it with migraine preventive meds even if you don't have a headache and avoid food and other triggers.
Wow! Such a neat find! I, myself have autism, but i think I'm more so the opposite of others! These lights do make me feel the fish bowl head effect, but I also get a euphoria from them, not like mania or ADHD. I also found that if I had a headache, they would actually soothe it and make it go away!

They have a strange calming, yet energizing effect upon me, kind of like my reaction to nitrous oxide or even fevers. Part of the whole reason I could actually concentrate in school and enjoyed going! However, they felt like they might have even been alerting my mental and emotional state. I liked the euphoria, but the surreal and dreamy, and perhaps, near psychedelic feeling was what I didn't like about it, the "zoned out" effect.

During classes and camp activities, I would always sit there, rocking back and fourth, giggling slightly, smiling uncontrollably, my eyes wide open and attentive, yet staring every few seconds, my vision alternating between losing focus, then coming back into focus, feeling a strange "eerily happy" or loving sensation, looking totally dopey and lovey dovey with everyone, and getting quite playful, but not disctractingly so. Sometimes I would even start drooling in that state and hardly even notice!

The interesting thing is, they make me much more stress adaptable, because it takes me more time to come out of the deliriously and groggy happy state, so I can know that something will become stressful, allowing me to sort of bypass the intensity of the emotion, and help me process it mentally, and react accordingly to the mental process, not so much the emotional processing. It's as if I could understand mentally that this is stressful, but not emotionally. However, that allows me to react much more effectively and with less...well...stress.

As strange as it sounds, I got more emotionally stressed out once they used the other type of lighting, the kind with the faster flicker rate! So, the older lights helped me focus and be attentive, but the new lights can get me stressed (also because I don't zone out) and stress in the environment get to my emotions much faster. These newer lights also tend to aggravate headaches. Weird that I'm much the opposite!!!