ADD / ADHD Community

my son

Hi I'm not sure if my son has ADD, he's 8yrs old and will wip phoo over the bathroom walls, he can be very aggressive, controling and can be very nasty 2his little brother and sister please could someone give me any advice... He doesn't seem to understand the things he does... Please help...
Hm.  Have you googled add or researched it at all to see if symptoms fit your son?  There is diagnositic criteria that is involved.

What are your son's teachers saying about him at school?  
My daughter is being assessed for ADHD as she can he all over the place and the school are struggling to cope with her, my son can get very stressed at school with work, and playing/sharing with others, he finds it hard to make friends his teachers think he's making progress from when he started, but they   seem that interested? Even though they struggle with my daughter they will just dismiss it in away... I've done all I can with getting assessments and I'm now trying to get as much advice as I can xXx thank you for you reply :) xXx
By law in the United States, a parent can demand an assessment at the school and if you do this, ask for the full evaluation program---  speech, occupational therapy and psychological evals.  But you can't be denied this within your school.  You can't control the outcome once the evaluations are given but you can demand that they be done.
COMMUNITY LEADER
   Specialmom is right in that there is a lot that you can demand your schools to do.  In  "The ADD/ ADHD Answer book," by Susan Ashley, she has a full section (chapter 4) on what schools can do and how you can access those services.  And since you think that both kids might have ADHD, its probably worth you getting the book (its only about $10 through Amazon) since it will really help you help them.
    You also might want to check out this site for symptoms.
          http://www.rxlist.com/attention_deficit_hyperactivity_disorder_adhd/article.htm#tocb
      How you work with your son does to some extent depend if he has ADHD or not.  A child with ADHD does have less control over his actions and consequently changing their behavior is more difficult.  So its important to figure that out.  
      You did mention he has a controlling behavior.  I take it he has two younger siblings?  If so, at least part of his behavior may be due to competing with them for attention.
       Any way, take a look at the site and then get back to us.
Thank you for your advice I will definitely take a look :) xXx
I have had a look at the information you gave me and I'd definitely say my daughter has ADHD but I wouldn't say my son has this he is completely different :) thank you for all your help :) xXx
COMMUNITY LEADER
      Ya, it does sound like your son may be looking for more attention.  Which makes sense as the two younger ones must keep you pretty busy.  You might want to check out the book,  "love and Logic" by Fay and Cline to help you work with him.   Best wishes.
Reading this post and your others, I do think a developmental pediatric physician would be good to go over things with.  With the issues surrounding speech, fine motor and behavior along with the learning issues, I think it would be helpful to dig deeper into the situation.  
It is unusual to have problems with two out of three (I presume three) children. That being the case, I would first examine dietary and environmental issues. Sometimes a child's behavior has a complex cause that involves more than his or herself.
Actually allmymarbles that is wrong.  Statistically, many of these issues run in families.  
That is questionable. The "running in families" might well have to do with environmental factors, or with a family's response to problem behavior. Some parents place more reliance on outside experts, while others try to solve the problems themselves. All of Mia Farrow's children (and she had many) were seeing psychiatrists. I rest my case.
Adhd, add, sensory integration disorder and autism all run in families.  

I really feel insulted on a regular basis with the accusations that people are either misreading that their child needs help or the issue is home life.

Depression also runs in families as do anxiety disorders.   There is a genetic predisposition  and you are at a higher risk of developing these issues if a parent suffers from them.  Or the grandparent . . .