Allergies - Food Community
921 Members

looks like white paint on skin is it a rash?

my girlfriend was digging in the closet, when she was done she found there was this weird white paint like stuff on her finger it spread a little bit like an acid burn and stung, there was nothing in the closet unsafe that could of donr this to hur, is it a weird rash or a food allergy, what should we do, her 2 fingertips look like they got dipped in white out, is it dry skin?
Hi, I was trying to google this same question because that same thing JUST happened to me but I have NO idea what it is from or where it could have come from. I am just wondering if perhaps, you or your girlfriend were able to figure out what it was? If I find anything out that may be an answer then I will definitely get back to you.
This happened to me as well. I watch it spread on the back of one finger (above the first joint on one hand) and on the index fingertip. It spread right before my eyes and was accompanied by a slight burning sensation...seemed like a chemical burn. Definitely some type of reaction to something. My question is to what?? Tried to wash/scrub it off with soap, water, and acetic acid (vinegar)...to no avail from what I could tell. One went away within 35 minutes. On the other, its been there for at least an hours.  I just took some pictures, and looked at my skin under a USB microscope. I could clearly see that the white spots on my fingertip were BELOW the surface of the skin (which i why I could not scrub them off), and appear to be small clusters of CRYSTALLIZED material in the skin (which probably is what caused the pain/burning sensation). Perhaps this is uric acid crystallized?? which would make this a symptom of hyperuricemia or minor gout?? I did have a hangover this weekend after watching the Niners game. Don't know. Crazy.
omg THIS JUST HAPPENED TO ME  i was turning the knob on my washing machine i felt a tingle slightly painful sensation and watched what i thought was some sort of infection  spread across three fingers
I just had this exact thing happen to me too. It happened fast- two times now in the last four days- both times while trying on clothes-
happened FAST- and started to spread- looks like white paint- couldn't wash it off- and it BURNS. Only goes away on it's own. NOthing I could do helped.
I'm thinking it is from my white plastic hangers!
Maybe the plastic was not cured- I did recently buy a new pack of them. BUT who knows which ones they were- they're all mixed up in there now -- has there been any recall on hangers? I can't find it on the web.
Anyone figure it out yet?
I'm a hairdresser and get what u r describing if I get power lightner (hair bleach) on my skin. It is chemical burn!
I had this happen to me just minutes ago. I was cleaning the stove and suddenly my fingers on left hand started burning. Immediately after the burning sensation, white paint like substance appeared on the same fingers. I tried washing it off, but it only made it spread. I freaked out and immediately got on the internet to see if this was related to fiberglass exposure. I didn't know what else it could be. It seems to be going away on its own and no longer burning as much.
Same thing just happened to me. This is the second time. Both times it goes away on its own. I feel a tingling or pricking sensation just before I notice it. It's under the skin an followes the pattern of the fingerprint . Looks like paint but comes from out of nowhere and does not wash off. I took some pictures. It's weird. It just goes away on its own . A friend had the same thing happen to her. Maybe it's part of this DNA upgrade we are supposed to be getting ;)
I think you need to consult with the good skin doctor. May be it is some kind of food allergy.  
This just happened to me and I found out that it was Food Grade  Hydrogen Peroxide I had in my freezer! It had tipped over and it was on some of the bags of food in my freezer. I had no idea where this was coming from because I didn't notice it right away the other times. so thankful my mom had mentioned that had happened to her and sure enough when I went to touch it in freezer my hands started to burn and turn white!
I had the same thing happen after moving and cleaning an office. Based on the pattern of your reports, it seems it's something that occurs when in contact with cleaning products. My guess is that you each were using the cleaning wipes (not the kind for face and hand) from maybe Lysol or something. Thats happened to me twice including today but still cant find an answer as to what it is. Weirdly though, I panicked and taped all my fingers so I dont touch my face and within 30mins, vapor somehow built up under the tape and when I removed them, my fingers looked good as new, like it NEVER happened. I quickly washed my hands n now am paranoid but the look super clean again. Anyone find out what it is and if its benign or not, please post here. Thank you.
Three of us had this this morning and after reading your post I see that it was the food grade hydrogen peroxide I had in the fridge which spilled near our cheese and everyone who reached for cheese got this white stuff on them I noticed mine was really itchy. It did disappear fairly quickly in a few hours.
This is happening to me right now, what really flipped me out is that I was just cooking with flour and thought it was that...but it wouldn't wash off.
After I saw it was spreading really fast I jumped on here and after realising that it was a chemical thing. I remembered I had also cleaned my hot tub with some chemicals and they would of easily spilt on my fingers.

I just hope this stuff goes away, it's really gross.
I found a cure!
I live in Australia, and here we have a soap called "solvol"
It's made from a tough grit and it's basically like a stone, it's made for working men with really rough hands that get beaten up during the day.

Anyway, it works!
The rash went away in less than 15 minutes.
That just happened to me today!  My sister and I made sandwiches and suddenly both our hands broke out with white paint splotches that burned and felt like they were putting out heat.  We tried washing them, scrapping at the skin- nothing worked.  Then we realized the more we touched the bread, the more it burned.  We didn't touch any chemicals, glues or anything unusual, just the bread.  Started looking up allergic reactions to bleached flour (this type of bread had it sprinkled even on the outside of the crust) and we saw a lot of posts like this.  It went away after about an hour or two, but it was really freaky!  My husband didn't touch the bread or eat it and he didn't have any reaction.  Never had allergies like this before, but I won't be buying bread with bleaches if I can avoid it.  Yikes.
UPDATE:  IT WASN'T THE BLEACH.  PEROXIDE GOT SPILLED AND GOT ON THE CONDIMENT PACKAGING.
I had this exact thing happen to me this morning.

I use a contact soaking solution made of hydrogen peroxide. The contact case leaked into my bathroom drawer yesterday. I thought I had cleaned it all up, but this morning, I grabbed my hairbrush and noticed the handle was damp. I wiped out the drawer. A few minutes later, I noticed this on my hands. It's never happened with my contact solution before, but because some of the liquid sat out overnight where the water could evaporate and leave concentrated solution behind...

Just confirming: yes, it is hydrogen peroxide.
It happened to me from time to time and always on my hands. It is spreading quickly and is burning. At first I thought a spider has bitten me, so I rushed to put on Antisan (an ointment with anti-histamine to put on insect bites for immediate relieve). The anti-histamine ointment immediately took away the stinging/burning and it did not spread further, but the white spots remains until it slowly fades away over about an hour. It would be nice to get a medical doctor's opinion on this. I wash my hands a lot and especially thoroughly before cleaning and handling my contact lenses, so I thought it could be the type of liquid soap I uses, but even on a new type of soap, the condition re-occurs.
I was on my way to the ED and decided to Google "skin turning white." Thanks so much to you all for your input! I had just finished cleaning out the first aid drawer and my fingers began to burn and turn white, before my eyes! I panicked! I showed my boss and he, jokingly showed me his cut- off finger and said "same thing happened here!" I wanted to run to the hospital but I am glad I Googled it first!
This exact same thing happened to me this afternoon. I felt this burning, stinging feeling in my fingers and actually could watch the white patches appear on my fingers and knuckles. I also tried to wash them off, but without success. The rash disappeared completely within 2 hours. It left me physically drained.
I was so freaked out! I'm so glad I found this. I was cleaning my sisters earrings earlier and I spilled some Hydrogen Peroxide on the counter and I forgot to clean it up.. I think I touched it and a white patch that followed my finger print showed up on my finger.. I didn't notice it till it started burning and stinging. Haha.. i thought I had some kind of weird parasite eating away at my thumb! I couldn't scrub it off or anything and it burned! But anyway.. I found that putting Neosporin on it helps to make it go away quicker.
Hi!  I've been all over the net and the page you all posted on was the only thing I could find that was close to what BOTH me AND my son have experienced. So, let me tell you what happens to me two times now. Out of nowhere, I feel a zap in one finger tip.  When I look at it, it is already white, like that of hydrogen peroxide.  In one instance, I saw with my own eyes, the whiteness increase in length on my finger.  I am unable to wash it away.  I get nervous that I will feel the same pain again so as a nervous habit, I press down on my affected fingertip continuously.  I don't know if this helps the condition, but it helps me mentally.  In one instance it disappeared in about 30 mins.  In another instance it disappeared in about an hour.

My sister who lives miles away tells me this happens to her, but her symptoms are not the same, but she makes a great observation that she believes it's a pinched nerve in the neck.  I had been going with that theory now for the last few years, until yesterday, when this happened to my 5 year old SON!  He felt the zap, then his finger and forearm skin started turning white.  Here is another odd thing though, he had fingers on both hands turn white!  30 mins later, it went away.

I was thinking about all of this last night and something hit me.  In both of my instances and in my son's instance, it happened in or near about master bathroom.  Not to be rude,but the people on here that are saying it is paint, or they accidentally touched hydrogen peroxide, are not experiencing the same thing as I am.

Is there a medical name or terminology to help research this, because finding anything on the net about this is hard to locate?
My wife contracted this condition today. It looked like white corrector fluid spots on both hands. About 10 spots/patches in all. They could not be removed and when a small bit was scratched away it caused skin abrasion. The white patches were itchy, prickly and numb. Our local hospital could not diagnose them as they had not seen this condition before. They prescribed anti-histamine tablets and cortisone cream. Half an hour after this medication 95% of the patches disappeared. Not clear whether this was because of the time lapse (about two and a half to three hours since condition was first notices) or the treatment. Will now wait to see if one remaining spot disappears.
I have had the same thing happen to me three times now over past two months.  The first time my daughter had just put vit. c powder in her hair (mixed with shampoo) to lighten it and I had touched her hair so I thought that was it.  Same as the rest of you, it burned and I could watch it spreak over my fingers and then it disappeared after a while.  Happened again a few weeks ago and again this morning, but this time no vitamin c around but all three times happened while I was in my kitchen.  It's got to be some kind of chemical burn/reaction but can't figure out to what.  Nothing is consistent..errrggh  
Like most of you I freaked out when I saw That this white stuff would not rinse off with water bleach or polish remover.  The chain of events included me first smelling a bit of a foul scent on One of my fingers when I had it near my face.  Then I went to the bathroom to wash off these White paintlike spots on four of my fingers and that's when I realize it won't wash off. It started to itch and burn a little. After becoming so worried I went online to check and see if anyone else had this problem.  Some of you mentioned a reaction with hydrogen peroxide which gave me some insight.  I finally remembered that about 30 minutes before this happened I was handling an old Ziploc Plastic bag i have on my nightstand.  Also on my nightstand was a bottle of hydrogen peroxide (Topical solution USP).  I have come to the conclusion that some of this peroxide solution (left on the nightstand ofter use four days ago) came into contact with the Ziploc bag(is always on the nightstand).    It has been 45 minutes now since I've read most of the posts and have written this one and the White spots are starting to fade.   It appears, like most of you said in your post that it would fade in the next hour or two.  Although I am not a chemist or a doctor it appears that this is a chemical reaction however it would be nice to hear from a doctor or chemist to explain and determine if there is need to be medically alarmed.  Posts were very helpful!
Apparently high concentration hydrogen peroxide can burn skin. Just google hydrogen peroxide burns. There are even you-tube videos showing it.
I had this happen, well it's happening right now. After I saw some one say food grade hydrogen peroxide I had the aha moment. I had picked up a small dish that had regular hydrogen peroxide in it a few days ago from when I was cleaning my ears. I forgot about, and it must have evaporated, and concentrated making it much stronger than the 3% were used to at the store. I remember feeling a little splash, I had thought the bowl was empty. Guess not!
The same exact thing  
Brandysnap, I think you are right about that... I just touched a hydrogen peroxide when I cleaned my daughter's bobos on her leg. After giving her a first aid at home when I washed my hands I noticed a white streak on my fingers that it looked like a white correction paper or white paint but it wont come off. I felt a burning sensation on my fingers.  My other hand is fine without a contact from the hydogen peroxide.  I have been using peroxide but this is the first time I got a white streak on my fingers.  It really freaked me out but if this white streak won't go away for 7 days.  I am considering seeing a doctor.  
Did you touch any hyrodgen peroxide?  I have same problem you have.    I just touched a hydrogen peroxide when I cleaned my daughter's bobos on her leg. After giving her a first aid at home when I washed my hands I noticed a white streak on my fingers that it looked like a white correction paper or white paint but it wont come off. I felt a burning sensation on my fingers.  My other hand is fine without a contact from the hydogen peroxide.  I have been using peroxide but this is the first time I got a white streak on my fingers.  It really freaked me out but if this white streak won't go away for 7 days.  I am considering seeing a doctor.  
is an allergic reaction
This has happened to me a number of times.  Mines came about because I add bleach to my dish water when I wash my dishes.  I had an allergic reaction from the bleach, the white spots and stinging.  This time I had an open sore on my finger from eczema, hand in bleach and then used the perioxide to try to get the white spots out and made it worst.  I, like everyone else got nervous, went to the Internet, read these post and realized what I've done.  
What I did to make it better I mixed app,e cider vinegar and bentonite clay together, made a paste and put all over my fingers and hands.  It pulsated as it pulled out the bleach.  I washed it off after a half hour and the white spots were gone.  I hope thi works for someone else.  Thanks for the post.  I love it when we can really help one another.
Well maybe it is a food allergy or intolerance?!
I am sensitive to histamine. I had not that symptom but I know that skin rashes are possible because it depends on the person. She should check it up with an allergist. If it's really histamine, I would recommend Daosin!

best of luck
OUCH!
THIS JUST HAPPENED TOO ME AND I PUT OINTMENT AND NOW I HAVE WAITED FOR 15 MINUTES AND ITS NOT FADING AWAY ITS THERE AND IT DOES'NT STING AS MUCH IT JUST STOPED! IM FREAKIN OUT RIGHT NOW I DONT KNOW WAT TO DO HELP ME!
OUCH!
i was playing with toothpaste and achohal to make slime for @%$# and i was getting some snacks when i relized my fingers were burning i looked at my fingers i saw: MY FINGERS ARE WHITE MY FINGERS ARE WHITE!
i don''t know wat i can do now someone help me
Hi this has just happened to me, and when I told my family my two sons had it happen last night and my partner had it happen a couple of days ago. Suddenly got really itchy and had this light white powder like residue appear on my on my hands, with a real burning uncomfortable sensation. My nose then started to burn and then a white powder like substance appeared on my nose as well.  Super weird, I've never experienced anything like it before.
Loo
I have the white stuff on my fingertips right now. Does anyone know what it is?
This just happened to me as well. Started in one finger then moved to another and now on the 2nd hand . What is going on? Haven't touched any hydrogen peroxide or bleach
It's January 2018 and I've had this white stuff happen on my fingers as well...twice. I've been at my daughter's house both times. In December 2017 I was getting pans from her cupboard to make dinner when I felt a stinging sensation on my right pinky and index finger. I flipped over my hand and wondered where the white paint came from, then noticed my left pinky had 'paint' on it too. It didn't wipe off and I hoped I didn't get it on my clothes and would look for the source later. It went away in minutes and there were no chemicals or paint anywhere in her kitchen drawers or cupboards. Forgot about it. 1/22/18 I'm at her house starting dinner when I see the 'white paint' on the same fingers and it stings. The 'paint' won't wipe or wash off. Within five minutes it disappears. I've never seen such a thing and feel lucky to have found this site to report it. So weird!!
Right now I have this on my left middle finger just the tip... tried to wash it off but can't. Burns a little but not to bad and spread quickly. Its been about 35 minutes and its starting to go away. Freaked me out there for a bit... Glad i have google at my side. The only thing i came in contact for the last 2 hours is my keyboard(fallout 4), and hydrogen peroxide. must be the hydrogen peroxide but i never had this reaction before.. hmm
The same thing is happening to me why is this so scary I have a gf and I'm afraid she won't like me cause of it o need help in how to remove it
It's the cleaning products. It happened to me last night I was using vanish mixed with lemon juice to get some stains out of white linens. My fingers looked like they'd been dipped in white paint and were stinging - pretty scary. It lasted about a half hour then went away. I'm using plastic gloves in future.
Happened to me months ago when I was using a spot remover. Just happened for the second time. no spot remover. I put on gloves to dye my hair with a "natural" dye. Thought maybe there was an ant in the glove. Ripped off the gloves and saw thumb and index finger of both hands turning white. Rinsed my hands and put glove on. nothing. I also did the sensitivity test with the dye on my arm two days ago so I don't think it's the dye.
what happened, though? does it go away? do you end up burning issue?
I had same thing just happen I was cleaning a window screen that had been in a basement that had been treated for mold several times.  My theory is chemical residue from that treatment on the screen..but it was freaking me out. S  burning is fading but white pAint marks, like I touched a newly painted wall still remain so far
jays lads same thing happend to me cleaning the sheets. my young one left the a bloody marker on the bed ( Jesus ive told before not to be leaving them markers on the bed, you'd think she'd listen?) I tell you one thing if I die from this bloody rash from that bleedin vanish she'll have another thing coming her way. she won't giving out about the dinner anymore she won't be getting one cause she won't bother to cool it herself. And another thing if she spills them bloody markers again she'll be scrubbing herself! and she can get all the rashes she likes just like her her mother has to go through with this bleedin white rash on her fingers! you'd think now in this this day and age vanish could get their act together, that's the last time I'll be buying a bottle, good for nothing load of crap! ye poor unfortunate craters, I'd hope the rashes are gone by now! all the best, Patricia.
**** I just sprayed my hands with peroxide and a few minutes went by and now I got little white spots all over my hands with an unbearable itch and stinging like I'm being bit under my skin I can't stand it , why is this happening I also got scabies or mites I think this is killing them and there trying to bite their way out damn it hurts bad it took me 10 minutes to type these words cause I keep stopping to scratch my hands some spots are like lines half inch long and puffed up a little  scary **** when I sprayed other areas nothing happens only my hand , anybody ?
This happened to me this morning with my contact solution which has hydrogen peroxide. Weirdly, I’m visiting g my mother and she poured milk over it - it immediately cleared up. Strangest thing, but if it happens to you- wash it with milk!
POISON CENTER 24-HOUR TELEPHONE NUMBER:  (800) 222-1222

First, note that in chemical burns, "turning white' is not just the paling of skin due to diminishment of blood flow, as in when someone's face pales in fright.  Instead, with chemical burns, it is a whitening of the skin itself (and its deeper layers of tissue) , which looks as if you had white-out or white paint splash on your skin, but which cannot be washed off, and typically accompanied by tingling (at first) and burning (later) and a deep ache (if you can't remove it and it continues its action) ... worst is if you get a big enough dose of it to cause nerve damage in the tissue under the skin, which causes it to become 'deadened' to pain and insensitive to touch.  

VARIOUS chemicals can cause this.  Many of them are acidic, so when I had it happen after mucking about in a box of garden chemicals while helping a neighbor clear out his garage, I ran home, got baking soda (to stop the action of any acid), mixed it with water and soaked my feet and hands, scrubbing with a scrubby cloth to remove the deadened skin wherever the acid had soaked in.   That worked for me, and would perhaps help with other acidic-based chemical burns, but a call to the poison center is definitely a wise choice WHENEVER this happens, in case it's a substance that may cause deeper or longer-term issues.  

In my case, I believe the problem originated with a garden fertilizing substance called Triple Super Phosphate, because the powder residue had gotten on my hands and on my sandaled feet.  But there were some other things (some liquid) in that box that are equally suspect.  

Those of you who were just rummaging around somewhere when you came into contact with something unknown might have caused a reaction, should be thinking whether there may have been some old insecticide that people spray into the edges of floors/walls, household cleaners (especially oven cleaner, bleach, drain and toilet bowl cleaners, metal cleaners, etc.), broken-down base chemicals that precipitated out of what was previously non-dangerous household substances that have aged, ... god-knows-what.   But I'd encourage you all to CALL THE POISON CENTER!!
I was holding a bottle of rubbing alcohol and suddenly my fingers had these paint-like patches that nothing can remove. They eventually faded but the itchiness stays a bit longer. When I use rubbing alcohol it doesn't happen. But this particular rubbing alcohol bottle seems to have something in it that causes those white painful stuff to form. Did anyone get diagnosed for anything?
Find out what causes asthma, and how to take control of your symptoms.
Find out if your city is a top "allergy capital."
Find out which foods you should watch out for.
If you’re one of the 35 million Americans who suffer from hay fever, read on for what plants are to blame, where to find them and how to get relief.
Allergist Dr. Lily Pien answers Medhelp users' most pressing allergy-related questions
When you start sniffling and sneezing, you know spring has sprung. Check out these four natural remedies to nix spring allergies.