Allergy Community

Rash, Itch, Elevated Liver Enzymes

Over the last year, I have developed itching and rashes on different parts of my body, mostly on my upper body (chest and/or shoulders), hands and sides (below the armpits on the ribcage), ocassionally on my inner thighs, buttocks and ankles as well. The rash on the hands is sometimes slightly burning. The rash and  itch seem to worsen at night.  I also have some small red dots on my inner thighs that have been diagnosed as folliculitis.

I have had high, fluctuating liver enzymes over the past 13 months, my most recent ALT (GPT) is at 132!!! (Normal is 10-37).  I currently have a slightly low lymphocyte count [19.4% (normal is 22%-43%)].

None of my doctors (PCP, Dermatologist, Allergist) have been able to figure out what i have...ultrasound showed all internal organs to be normal, hepatitis tests came back negatve, yet the constantly elevated liver enzymes and slightly low lymphocyte count, together with the rash and itching, have me concered.

Any suggestions?

Have you noticed any symptoms of jaundice including yellowish discoloration of sclera or skin?

Have you noticed these symptoms through the last one year or have they been improving and worsening?

I think you should also get a gastroenterologist opinion for your symptoms? Have you taken any medications for these complaints?

Do you drink alcohol?

Do let us know about how you are doing and keep us posted.

Good luck.
Thanks for your responss.
To answer your questions:

I do not have any yellowing or jaundice symptoms.

The rash comes and goes, sometimes with red hives and sometimes just a red rash. I use topical steroids when the itching becomes bad (Elocom, Dermovate or Neriderm). I have also taken Gilex and Ahiston which seem to lessen the symptoms.

I drink alcohol, but in moderation.

i did an HIAA 5 test and it was negative; just took a blood test for Chromogranin A...awaiting the results.

Why do you suggest seeing a GI? What do you think it could be?

Thanks for the help!!!

Elevated liver enzymes alongwith a rash and the other symptoms that you mention needs to be investigated further for a confirmed diagosis. A gastroenterologist was sggested just to rule out any liver or gall bladder involvement as being the cause of your symptoms.

If the symptoms are persistent , it would be advisable to reconsult with your allergy specialsit and see what he /she has to say and also what is the further plan of management.

Let us know about how you are doing and what the doctor's advise.

Regards.
Hi Bhumika,
   Well I have some what of similar symptoms like the person above. But my symptoms are a little different they appear specifically on my hands right below my palm ( the area where we take our pulse rate) and go upwards, they also appear on my fore head, feet, neck chest. I had consulted an Allergist and he did a puncture test with different food items. That test didn't prove anything. He told me it was serve case of urticaria and told me to take zrytec(cetrizine), but it didnt help, I also switched to singulair that also didnt help, Now I am taking claritin ( loratadine) that seems to help a little bit but not much.

I had gone back to India this summer and the rash wasn't there. It started back again when I came back. I was tested positive for H pylori 2 years back. I never took the medicine for it. My physician never told me I had elevated Bilirubin levels 3.5 [0.2-1.2] and alubumin levels 5.2 [3.5-5.0]. Recently the rash started becoming a little worse so I consulted some other physician and she told me that I had my bilirubin levels high 1.9 [0.2-1.6] and also my H pylori was still there. She has referred me to a gastroenterologist.

I have gone on a soft diet of eating only rice, milk and fruits. no proteins ( meat, cheese etc) I wonder if I should continue with this diet. I do not drink alcohol or smoke

Please let me know
my mother has been in hospital for over 2 weeks has had every test possible done for a liver problem she was ammited with a fever and pneumonia she also had blood work that showed a elavation in the liver rubin i think that is what it is called pain in the right side under rib to back she is yellow eyes are yellow last 10 days has a very bad rash all over her body that itches they are thinking of doing liver biopsy they just can not find out what to do also in the last 3 days when she eats which is no appitite she gets these bouts of extreme gas so bad she can hardly breath in between them i think it is gall bladder they seem to say no they have done all the test everything comes back normal also has seen cancer doctor who can not find cancer what could it be
I was just wondering if you found out what you had or any solution to your case? i have pretty much the exact same thing you did except mine was sliiiightly lower numbers on the liver function scale. Anything you can tell me might be able to help because my doctor doesnt know what it is.
I have had rashes and my throat closed. I have had pneumonia and nasal polyps, but no allergies have been identified. I have elevated liver enzymes but no risk factors for liver disease. Have been to numerous doctors and no one has a clue. Any ideas?
I have had a hive like rash on my arms, elbow and armpit area, my buttocks, inner and outer thighs for over a year now. have had blood tests and my liver enzymes have come back as high 3x. been to allergy clinic, been tested for everything under the sun, now waiting to see dermatologist. Rash is not itchy can become very sore and raw like. When liver enzymes keep coming back as high doc says I just must be fighting something....ya well what is it????
I am going through the same thing right now.  Has anyone figured out what allergies, rashes, hives and itching has to do with elevated liver enzymes?
I too started with a rash approx 6 weeks ago when i started taking Asacol. My 6mo checkup last week, elevated liver enzymes (very high) and have been normal prior to my starting Asacol.  Could the med be the cause of the liver enzymes and rash.  Rash is primarily on torso but a few places on calf and upper arms.  I was diagnosed with Diverticulitis last June and 3 episodes later, option of surgery or med. I chose the med first. As long as the med is, hopefully, fixing my gastro issue, I think i can deal with the rash/itching.  Any comments appreciated.
My 84 year old mother has been suffering from these same symptoms, has been hospitalized numerous times, multiple tests and NO answers. Any help would be very much appreciated!
Find out what causes asthma, and how to take control of your symptoms.
Find out if your city is a top "allergy capital."
Find out which foods you should watch out for.
If you’re one of the 35 million Americans who suffer from hay fever, read on for what plants are to blame, where to find them and how to get relief.
Allergist Dr. Lily Pien answers Medhelp users' most pressing allergy-related questions
When you start sniffling and sneezing, you know spring has sprung. Check out these four natural remedies to nix spring allergies.