Animal Health - General Forum

Abscess Tooth or not?

Last weekend my dog's muzzle, forehead, and ears were swollen and she wouldn't stop throwing up yellow foam. She would hardly eat and it had to be soft food if she did. We took her to the vet and they thought it was a sting of some sort and gave her benedryl and something to soothe her stomach. Today I noticed that her breath smelled horrible and I saw a tooth in the very back that is black and green. The swelling from last weekend seemed to begin in the area the tooth is located. Could my dog have been misdiagnosed and really have an abscessed tooth?
Your concerns are well warranted and I would go back to your vet and ask them to re-check this as it could very well be the problem.

Thank you,

Dr Carol Osborne, DVM
Members of our Pet Communities share their Halloween pet photos.
Has your pet ever swallowed your prescription medicine? Vet tech Thomas Dock explores the top 10 meds that harm pets and what you can do to prevent a tragedy from happening.
Like to travel but hate to leave your pooch at home? Dr. Carol Osborne talks tips on how (and where!) to take a trip with your pampered pet
Smoking substitute may not provide such a healthy swap, after all.
How to lower your heart attack risk.