Animal Health - General Forum

Kidney stones / spasms in mini. schnauzer?

I have a 10 year old Mini Schnauzer (Angus). He started having trouble urinating - straining to go with little result, dribbling while straining, wanting to go out over and over, etc.

We took a urine sample to our vet who found infection and crystals and sent home antibiotics (baytril) and Hill's W/D food (he was eating Canidae) -

After three days on the antibiotic, he was urinating normally for the most part- much happier and playful - we switched him over to the new food over the course of a week and he was much improved -

But- he started having some sort of spasm in his back end that is worse when he first gets up from laying down and after he has gone to the bathroom (urinating or deficating) - it seems to be some sort of cramping that causes him to hunch up his back, like he is having a stomach cramp, and he is unable to sit down or move much while it is happening- he often stops to sniff his butt or lick at his penis after it stops.

He does not seem to be in any great pain when these spasms happen, he does not cry and he will wag his tail (or attempt to) if you go to him to see what is wrong. He sleeps all night with no problems or signs of the spasms. He is urinating freely with no troubles that we can see, but he is passing a stool more often than he used to, but except for the occasional softer-looking stool, there is no diarrhia or defication troubles.

I told my vet and he seemed to think there may be kidney stones causing the problem and to give him aspirin for a week and get back to him if it did not improve, but the aspirin caused stomach irritation and didn't make any difference, so I stopped giving it to him.

I am wondering if anyone out there can help me figure this out - could it be the food causing cramps or gas? Or a side effect of the Baytril? If it IS kidney stones, why is there no trouble with the flow of urine? We took in another urine sample after a week on the new food and everything came out fine.

Your dog should probably have an abdominal X-Ray to check for stones in the bladder or kidneys that are too large to pass on their own.  Bladder stones may have to be removed surgically.  He should also have his anal glands checked, and should be on a probiotic to counter the effects of the antibiotics.  The probiotic will replenish the "good" gut bacteria that has been killed off by the antibiotic.

The veterinarian can also check your dog's spine for possible disk disease.
Members of our Pet Communities share their Halloween pet photos.
Has your pet ever swallowed your prescription medicine? Vet tech Thomas Dock explores the top 10 meds that harm pets and what you can do to prevent a tragedy from happening.
Like to travel but hate to leave your pooch at home? Dr. Carol Osborne talks tips on how (and where!) to take a trip with your pampered pet