Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close
Avatar universal

Sweet tooth

My sons 2 year old rot weiller ate a 1lb box of chocolates. will this be harmful to him?
2 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
234713 tn?1283526659
MEDICAL PROFESSIONAL
Yes.  This fits into the Veterinary Medical Emergency category and he should be seen by an emergency veterinary service.  

Since he is a large dog he may get away with only gastrointestinal distress, such as vomiting, diarrhea, nausea, and inappetance for a couple of days.  But if it was a toxic dose he could end up with seizures and kidney damage that may be permanent.

The toxic dose depends on the percentage of chocolate in the candy.  Milk Chocolate can be as low as 25% chocolate, which of course is less toxic.  Bakers, unsweetened chocolate is 90 to 100% chocolate and is deadly in very low doses.  
Helpful - 1
Avatar universal
Thank You for your fast response. He has shown no sign of illness but my son is calling his Vet. Thanks again....
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Animal Health - General Forum

Popular Resources
Members of our Pet Communities share their Halloween pet photos.
Has your pet ever swallowed your prescription medicine? Vet tech Thomas Dock explores the top 10 meds that harm pets and what you can do to prevent a tragedy from happening.
Like to travel but hate to leave your pooch at home? Dr. Carol Osborne talks tips on how (and where!) to take a trip with your pampered pet
Herpes sores blister, then burst, scab and heal.
Herpes spreads by oral, vaginal and anal sex.
STIs are the most common cause of genital sores.