Animal Health - General Forum

sneezing cat

I have a very sneezy cat. She was extremely sneezy when we first got her from the shelter and upon taking to her to the vet for her first shots and check up he gave her a round of antobotic for a "cold". Went through that, still sneezing so they put her through another round. Basically to this day she's still very sneezy, and mucus is present. Also, every couple weeks she'll be even more sneezy than normal and her left eye will get runny with a brown substance.
Does this sound like a common cat problem?

Also, something she's done since she was a little kitten, she'll constantly lick smooth surfaces. If she's around any plastic in the house she's just sit there and lick it. Recently I saw her licking the wall and it concerned me as I'm sure it's not healthy for her to injest the paint and other particles she's getting off these objects. Some research online led me to OCD disorders in cats, again, is this a commen thing? Anything you know of to stop this behavior?
I've tried sprays and such, but it doesnt seem to stop her and I'd litterally have to spray every item, wall, etc in my house.
First of all I would like to commend you for adopting a cat from the shelter.  It is wonderful that you have given this kitty a home.

Many cats will have signs of upper respiratory infection after being at a shelter.  The virus spreads very easily and can linger in their system for a long time.

I would talk to your veterinarian about starting L-Lysine.  It is an amino acid that helps your cat fight Herpes virus which is a common cause of upper respiratory infection.  I have found good success when giving it to chronic sneezers and cats with discharges.  It takes 1-2 weeks to see results and you usually have to give it at least a couple of months. Some cats need to stay on it for a long time. There are some formulations made for cats that are not too difficult to get into them.

You should bring her in to your veterinarian for a check-up.  Your cat should be examined at least once a year although I now recommend every six months.  Changes in cats can be very subtle and they need regular examinations.  Updating her vaccinations may help with her problems as well.

Judy Karnia, DVM
Scottsdale Cat Clinic
Members of our Pet Communities share their Halloween pet photos.
Has your pet ever swallowed your prescription medicine? Vet tech Thomas Dock explores the top 10 meds that harm pets and what you can do to prevent a tragedy from happening.
Like to travel but hate to leave your pooch at home? Dr. Carol Osborne talks tips on how (and where!) to take a trip with your pampered pet