Arthritis Community

ANA positive and speckled?

Ive got some blood results. They say RF is negative but ANA is positive and speckled.
my symptoms are joint pain all over, iv never had any rashes.
Do you think the results mean that it is something wrong?
Not necessarily.  ANA can be elevated due to many auto-immune diseases, it can, however, be elevated even if you don't have auto-immune disease.  Did they tell you what your levels were?  ANA is generally one of the first tests and then they go by symptoms and other tests to further narrow down the possibilities.  A good rheumatologist is your best bet.
i dont think it was majorly high, just mildly positive. the joint pains soo bad though, i dont know what to do with myself
What other symptoms do you have?  I know that a person can have rhematoid arthritis and not have a pos. RA factor.  Eventually the labs will show up what is really going on.  

My advice to you is to ask if your ANA could be checked again sometime soon.  Spend time in the sun prior to your test. (even if it's a cloudy day)  (about 15 min)  If you have lupus it will cause your ANA to spike.  Meanwhile, stay out of the sun, try to destress, drink lots of water, stay away from sugar (in general, eat more healthy).

Other things that can cause joint pain are: (certainly not a complete list)

rhematoid and osteo arthritis
lupus
Sjogrens
celiac disease
Bursitis
Chondromalacia patellae
Gout (especially found in the big toe)

diseases, including
◦Epstein-Barr viral syndrome
◦Hepatitis
◦Influenza
◦Lyme disease
◦Measles (rubeola)
◦Mumps
◦Parvovirus
◦Rheumatic fever
◦Rubella (German measles)
◦Varicella (chickenpox)

Injury, including fracture
•Osteoarthritis
•Osteomyelitis
•Septic arthritis
•Tendinitis

A rhematologist will take an overview of symptoms along with various labs and come up with a dx.  Usually any autoimmune disease takes time (sometimes years) to put all the puzzle pieces together.  So keep very good records of symptoms, even if they wax and wane.  Most autoimmune diseases have symptoms that come and go.  
ANA Speckled Pattern

A.Most common, least specific

B.Disorders
1.Systemic Lupus Erythematosus
2.Mixed Connective Tissue Disease
3.Scleroderma
4.Sjogren's Syndrome

C.Further evaluation
1.Smith Antibody (Anti-Smith)
2.Ribonucleoprotein Antibody (Anti-RNP)
3.Scl-70 kD kinetochore (Anti-Topoisomerase I)
4.Anti-La (Anti-SSB)
hey thanks for your reply. i saw a rheumatologist and he said it could just be because i have raynauds or coz i have another autoimmune condition. but hes going to do some strange other blood tests just incase. need to look up what they are for! some sort of DNA antibodies,

er painly just joint pain in all joints in arms and legs, and some minor swelling at MCPs, not much else, though i have been getting headaches lately
What about fatigue. Have you been tired?
Find out how beta-blocker eye drops show promising results for acute migraine relief.
Could it be something you ate? Lack of sleep? Here are 11 migraine triggers to look out for.
Tips for preventing one of the most common types of knee injury.
Here are 10 ways to stop headaches before they start.
Tips and moves to ease backaches