Arthritis Community

Blister-looking bump on finger

My hands have been swollen and my fingers hurt pretty bad, especially both my index fingers at the first
joint just past the nail, also on that joint is a blister-like bump that is very noticeable and extremely
painful.  What are these blister-like bumps and are they related to Osteoarthritis or Rheumatoid??
I have been diagnosed with Osteo in my knee...is it possible to have both osteo and rheumatoid??
I'd appreciate any comments and thanks in advance...
If the bump looks like a blister which is on the skin rather than a bump or cyst that is under the skin, it is probably not a rheumatoid nodule.  Still, with your fingers hurting and the bump near a joint, I think you should have your doctor take a look at it.  It is possible to have more than 1 type of arthritis at once.  I know because I do (leave it to me to pick a short straw!)  Please let us know what you find out.
The bump isn't a real blister, it is under the skin and hard, it seems that once the bump appears, the joint doesn't hurt as bad as it had been!!  I had a feeling that you would tell me I could have 2 kinds of arthritis at the same time...I am also dealing with thyroid problems right now, so I'm really leaning toward autoimmune, plus I have a lot of the symptoms for Sjogren's...wooohooo, I think I may have hit the trifecta of autoimmune
diseases/syndromes!!!  I have to laugh so I don't cry...if you have time, please read my
journal and give me your take on the situation...I'm sorry that you got the short straw...thanks for getting back to me so quickly...oh, so is this nodule indicative of rheumatoid arthritis??
Yes, can I relate!  Have a few autoimmune things going on myself.  What you are describing could be a cyst or it could be a rheumatoid nodule.  It is definitely worthy of investigation by your doctor.  With all you have going on, I truly hope you will learn that it is a cyst or a calcium deposit or some such thing.  Please talk to your doc and let us know what you find out.
Wow, just read your journal entries.  I am stunned.  You are really going through it!  Have you seen your rheumy since all of this started going on?  A lot of this sounds autoimmune.  I would recommend you get all your docs talking to eachother.  BTW, your hubby sounds great!  Glad you have him on your side.
Thanks so much for taking the time to read my journal...ENT suggests and Endo, but, I am at the point of not wanting to waste anymore time with someone who can't or won't help me...have not seen Endo or Rheumy yet...even though I've had dry eyes and dry mouth for many years, could never get anyone to listen to me and take me seriously...but, due to all the stuff that's happened recently, I am done messin around!!
I am on antibiotic right now and my tongue is on FIRE!!!  I can hardly eat anything because everything tastes funny and burns my tongue like acid...and as a diabetic, I have to eat!!!  If I wasn't so mad I'd sit down and cry, but, I know crying doesn't get you anywhere so I'll stay a little mad and hopefully get something done about this once and for all!!!  My hubby is a good guy, thanks for saying that, I am going to show him your note cuz, he thinks I only complain about him!! LOL  I will be making an appt Monday with either an Endo or Rheumy or both...and I totally agree with you that this is autoimmune...Am I right that I need an antibody test and possibly a lip biopsy?? For thyroid and Sjogren's, respectively??  Thanks again...let you know what happens...
Your blister-like bumps possibly might be erythema nodosum, a panniculitis (inflammation of fatty tissue) and, surprise surprise, yet another autoimmune connective tissue inflammatory disorder.  Last year my gp thought I might have this in light of years of autoimmune probs and I was directed to dermatology for ?biopsy, but the sore bumps on my fingers actually cleared up before the appointment date and happily have not returned.  
Good idea to see rheumatologist asap.  Main thing is that any specialists you see need to be first class diagnosticians and are able to muddle through the murky waters of autoimmune disorders!  
Find out how beta-blocker eye drops show promising results for acute migraine relief.
Could it be something you ate? Lack of sleep? Here are 11 migraine triggers to look out for.
Tips for preventing one of the most common types of knee injury.
Here are 10 ways to stop headaches before they start.
Tips and moves to ease backaches