Arthritis Community

What was the cause of your hip pain?

Pain may arise from structures that are within the hip joint or from structures surrounding the hip.   The hip joint is a potential space. This means that normally there is a minimal amount of fluid inside the joint to allow the femoral head to glide in the socket of the acetabulum. Any illness or injury that causes inflammation will cause this space to fill with fluid or blood, stretching the hip capsule lining and resulting in pain.  Articular cartilage lines the femoral head and the acetabulum, allowing the bones to move within the joint with less friction. Also, the socket area of the acetabulum is covered with tough cartilage called the labrum. Just like any other joint cartilage, these areas can wear away or tear and become the source of pain. There are thick bands of tissue that surround the hip joint, forming a capsule. These help maintain the hip joint stability, especially with movement, keeping the femoral head firmly in the acetabulum.  Movement at the hip joint is possible because of the muscles and tendons that surround the hip and that attach across the hip joint, allowing the leg to move in different directions. Aside from controlling movement, these muscles also act together to maintain joint stability. There are large bursas (fluid-filled sacs) that surround areas of the hip and allow the muscles and tendons to glide more easily over bony prominences. Any of these structures can become inflamed.  Pain can be referred from other structures outside the hip joint, meaning that while the hip hurts, the problem may potentially originate elsewhere. Inflammation of the sciatic nerve as it arises from the spinal cord in the back can cause hip pain, especially if the L1 or L2 nerve roots are involved. Other types of nerve inflammation may manifest as hip pain, including pain arising in the lateral femoral cutaneous nerve of the thigh, which is often inflamed in pregnancy. Pain from an inguinal or femoral hernia, or a sports hernia (athletic pubalgia) may also cause pain that is felt in the hip.   Hip pain is a nonspecific complaint that requires the health care professional to find the underlying cause from the many potential injuries or illnesses. The approach to the diagnosis of hip pain requires an open mind because the source of trauma or the cause of illness may not be readily apparent.Picture of the Anatomy of the Hip
Severe osteoarthritis is the cause of my hip pain!
advanced age (83) with no previous symptoms of hip  pain, genral health is excellant.Only health regimene is daily intake of synvastitin for blood thinner. Past three months to date are with reocurring hip pain.. prognosis and treatment? Bob
Fell 2 different times on my tailbone, but only pain in right hip on and off over the years. Was off on vacation for 2 weeks and now hasnt stopped hurting. It is not a severe pain.
My hip pain was caused by a fracture to the ball joint in my hip.
I AM MILIND VERY PAIN IN MY HIP JOINT FROM 6 MONTH SO PLEASE GUIDE ME TREATEMENT FOR WITHOUT HIP JOINT OPERATION ...
Find out how beta-blocker eye drops show promising results for acute migraine relief.
Could it be something you ate? Lack of sleep? Here are 11 migraine triggers to look out for.
Tips for preventing one of the most common types of knee injury.
Here are 10 ways to stop headaches before they start.
Tips and moves to ease backaches