Is the Peg Perego Primo Viaggio SIP a Safe Car Seat?

I ready this review and am contemplating buying this car seat: http://*******************.com/2011/02/read-this-review-before-you-buy-the-peg-perego-primo-viaggio-sip/.

Is this a safe car seat or should I be looking at something else?
I have not seen this seat before and ahve not read any reviews on it. I know the SIP is a new thing coming out this past two years and this looks to be the first infant seat with it. You did not specify weather you wanted the 30/30 or the convertable seat. The link did not show on the post.

The thing is that all car seats meet safety guidlines but yes they are not all made equal. Now some would think that the more you spend the better the car seat but that is not the case as Eddie Bauer and Recarro from Sunshine kids have never gotten good reviews for safety. This as far back as 1997 when I started having kids.

I am not impressed with this seat for two reasons. One being that both pictures of the infants in the seat do NOT have the seat belt fastened appropriatly. It is very loose. Yes the are nto really riding in the car but all photos of a bbay should be of them fastened securly. Most parents DO NOT fasten the child correctly or the seat correctly in the car so they should show how it should fit on the child. ALso the infant seems to be sitting directly up an not laying back at all which in a small infant this will lead to airway obstruction as thier muscles are ont good enough to hold thier bodies up to mantain good oxygen levels.

But those are my two things with the seat and company I guess, I am sure the manufactures instructions says clearly how to safely install the seat and secure baby. The thing is that you want to know it will fit in your car and baby will be at the right angle. Here are the latest reviews for the best car seats on the market today.

The top of the line in infants are

Chicco Key Fit which is $155 at walmart
Graco Snugride 35 is $151 at walmart
Baby Trend is around $89 at walmart This is what I have and I love it! The price has gone down as new models come in

I have seen that the Evenflo Discovery says high ratings but it is NOT and got bad reviews on consumer reports.

The top for convertables are

First Years true Fit which is around $179 at Walmart ( the newer premiere came out and has the highest ratings this past year and got 5 stars on the national transpertaion ease of use, it is $215 at walmart, just went down actually) The head rest removes for rear facing so it fits easier in smaller cars. Rated #1 in consumer reports

Britax marathon 70  which is $279 at Target and is not available at walmart, this got #2 on consumer reports

Recaro Proride is $279 at Target this is a new patent pending steal rods through the car seat and covers all points on baby for impact.

The Evenflo Titan got good reviews on web sites but was on the lower end on consumer reports.

ALl Coso car seats have been recalled so many times I would NOT reccomend one ever!

So fit is a bog thing! I had a Evenflo Triumph given to me and it would not fit with the latch nor buckle in my Grand Prix rear facing. It had way to mauch play and would not go tight. This is an issue with many latch systems, they are the best to use but you have to make sure they are in according to manufacture requirments. SO read the manual and make sure it is fitting according to that.

I will add that I recently got my First years True fit in and I love it and wish I had gotten it for him when he was first born, it is very large and will not fit in some vehicles but he is so secure in it and it is wide and comes up over his sides and head so well sompared to lots I have seen. The padding is wonderful also.

If you do get the car seat you talked about if you could please let us know what you drive and how it fits and how you like it.
I have the evenflo triumph convertable and Its AMAZING.I c the person above said it didnt fit/latch or something.Ive had this n a honda accord2001,2005/1991Honda civic,mini van,expedition etc.look at the great reviews very reasonable and one of the top2safest(1st when i got it but dunno if it is now).good luck

You are reading content posted in the Baby Products Community