Treatment for painful broken or bruised coccyx
I fell 3 days ago, landing on my tailbone.  The next day, the area was swollen... it is still swollen.
I was xray'd and advised that the coccyx was broken.  I was told to rest and take Tylenol 3 and Ibuprophen.  I was told not to use cool.cold compresses, but to have daily hot showers to alleviate the pain.

This has not been very effective. I am unable to work and in constant pain

I understand (from family members who have had a similar injury) that this injury can be very painful and that the pain can last a long time (years).

I would like to know what I can expect in regards to recovery time and if you can advise me of anything I can do to speed my recovery?  And what any additional treatments are if this continues to be a problem.

Thank you for your time and consideration
Janet

Hi everyone,

We have had terrible snow here in Scotland lately, which in some places has turned too ice...which I fell victim too...literally. I was coming out of the shopping centre, slipped backwards and BANG!...Not the first time ive hurt my tail bone but it sure made me cry lol and I'm 21 years old! I don't know whether it was the shock or what.....anyway, that was nearly a week ago and I've been in agony since :(....so much so its interfering with my sleep, sitting down and day to day tasks, even going up stairs and putting my shoes on ...I have even found myself moving slightly and near enough screaming out with pain ....Because I work Monday-Saturday 6-6 usually, I haven't found time too go to my doctors about it and I can't afford anymore time off work (due too previous days off because of snow). But yesterday I came home earlier from work because of the snow..but unfortunately not in time too get an appointment...so I spoke to my doctor over the phone, she just advised me too take co-dydramol, but these don't seem too be working at all (I have also tried, before hand, ibruprofen and deep heat rub, also had no effect). She also said that with this type of injury the pain could last for weeks....I REALLY want the pain too go :(...any help? please!
I, too, fell victim to a fall on 12-25-2010,lol,Christmas Night. The perfect fall(like the perfect storm). I slipped on ice and landed Perfectly on my tailbone,(Coxis bone). The doctor has me taking pain meds. Oxycodone-(3qid)3 time a day and today-12-29-2010 had an epidural nerve block.
You should treat your lower back/tailbone area with a cold compress-Ice pack for at least 20 minutes at a time; this along with you laying in your stomach. Krisp, try putting a pillow under your stomach and this will help to aileviate some of your pian associated with the coxal area.
     Prayer never hurt anyone. This WILL NOT go away anytime soon. Sorry. You will have to take it easier and the donut will help. It allows a "no pressure" atmosphere for your coxis bone.
I read all of these posts and no one pointed out how sneezing hurts sooooo much!!!!!!!!!!!!! I fell on my butt a month ago and now the pain I am in (on the tailbone) really changes everything I do. I have all the same issues and pain as that the rest of these posts are talking about, plus agonizing pain in the butt when I sneeze!!!
This last summer i was vacationing in Europe and fell down hard while rollerblading... i had a little pain but at that point i didn't know i bruised my tailbone, so the next day when i went swimming, the pain hit me so bad.. for 2 days straight, it hurt so bad that i went to the emergency room over there, but they couldn't look at it because it wasn't caused by an accident. i put ice on it, and a lot of pain reliever creams until it hurt when i would only sit and get up afterwords... getting up nearly killed me every time! and what you said about how just sneezing hurts is so true!! i had to take a 12- hour car ride to France 2 weeks after, and every bump we went over would hurt as well. I also had to ride back to the U.S. in a 14 hour plane ride.. imagine that...it sucked!! i couldn't sleep for one... i had a window seat, so i kept wanting to get up and stay on my feet for as long as i could. it was truly the worst vacation ever. And now 7 months have passed, the doctors say nothing but time can heal it, and not even all of it can be healed.. i still have pain, only after i sit for more than an hour, the donut pillow really helps sometimes. The best advice that i could offer is just as what everyone else is saying: sleep on your side, get a donut pillow, stand as much as you can, and just wait it out.
i fell in 1992 broke my tail and dislocated  it .it has healed but now i have a herniated disc ..could that fall from around 6 feet caused my back to become weaker and then devolped this herniated disc from it and if so is there any medical documentation for this thanks TODD
HAS ANYONE EVER HAD A CAUDAL STEROID INJECTION THAT LEFT THERE TAILBONE SWOLLEN AND BRUISED AND IT DID NOT GO AWAY?  I HAD ONE CAUDAL EPIDURAL SHOT FOR BLADDER PAIN IN 2008 AND IT HAS LEFT MY SACRUM VERY SWOLLEN AND VERY PAINFUL. I CAN NOT DRIVE, I HAVE TO LAY DOWN BECAUSE SITTING IS PAINFUL..  I WAS A RUNNER FOR TWENTY YEARS AND NOW I HAVE TO USE A WHEELCHAIR TO GO TO THE DOCTOR.  HAS ANYONE HAD THIS PROBLEM?
In august of 2010 I smashed my tailbone skateboarding off a quarter pipe needless to say I've been in constant pain I've woken up in the middle of the night not being able to even sleep let alone relax it is by far the worst injury I've ever had I've been taking a lot of ibprofin / excedrin / generic aspirin during the time span it seems like the pain has just gotten worse I'm trying to stop taking blood thinners due to the fact its not healthy for you  , I also want to state that some of the nights I wake up from pain I've had horrific nightmares and have recently been waking up in a state of delusion its been hard to deal with if any one has any suggestions please let me know what worked best for you  at my email  ***@****
GREAT NEWS FOR BROKEN TAILBONE.  PLEASE SEE DR PATRICK FOYE IN THE UMDNJ NEW JERSEY. HE HAS BEEN MY GOD SEND RELIEVED ALL OF THE EXCRUCITATING PAIN FROM MY BROKEN TAILBONE.  HE IS THE MOST POPULAR TAILBONE DOCTOR AND HE TAKES THIS TYPE OF INJURY VERY SERIOUSLY UNLIKE OTHER ORTHOPEDIC AND REGULAR DOCTORS.
I fell down a flight of stairs at a friends house coming down from the upstairs bedroom...i didnt really feel much when it happened but later that night i could hardly move while i slept...i got exrayed just bruised really bad...still hurtsvon occasion. I have an inflatable donut that helps a bit...just waiting it out...hope it heals quickly!!!
I fell down stairs 3 times within two weeks due to bad carpet, each time hurting my tailbone, first time was worst, this was a year and a half ago and I still Cant sit, I have to lay on my side on sofa and even sitting in bath hurts and if I lean back when sitting the pain shoots through me, if I sit on computer chair for ten minutes it hurts so much to stand up and all I have been given is pain killers that dont help
Somebody mentioned the donut pillow earlier, I have heard of this as well.
Not sure if anyone had looked into this - but I was a figure skater for a number of years and repeatedly fell and bruised my tailbone for the better part of a decade.  I had zrays done numerous times - never found anything - but i always had pain sitting in movie theaters, airplanes, car rides etc. When i graduated college and got a desk job I was sitting ALL day and the pain was worsening over several months until finally it became unbearable. I couldnt sleep, sit, stand, nothing.  Touching it made me cry.  I went to my GP and she immediately sent me to a surgeon for having a pilonidal cyst, something i had never come across or even heard mentioned to me by other doctors.  I had it lanced that day and while it was the most painful thing imaginable it helped immediately.  I had surgery for it 6 weeks later. For those of you who arent getting answers or help from your doctors, this could be something for you to look into.
I had my tailbone surgically removed in 8th grade after having living with a  severely broken tailbone for a year and a half. The pain just got to be so unbearable and continous (I was taking 8 ibuprofen a day- and still in a good amount of pain). The surgery was really painful- and it really is a last resort. But I am so so glad I did it. It took me about two weeks to recover from the surgery and while I have some pain here and there- its so less frequent and less intense than it ever has been. I was surprised to find that after a year of being almost completely pain free I started experiencing soreness again. I went to the Dr. and he told me that some of the bone had grown back- which is really rare and not supposed to happen. I was really bummed that the surgery wasn't 100 percent successful but still so HAPPY that I don't have tailbone pain like I did before. But truly, do physical therapy, and see if time will make a difference before jumping straight into surgery. Also, someone mentioned that they didn't want to get it removed because they thought it would leave the spine exposed. This has not been the case for me at all. My bone was broken so that any time I bumped it, it ricocheted movement in the entire area and I'd be in severe pain- now that doesn't happen. The tailbone serves no purpose. I have been impacted in no negative way by having it removed.
Or You Could Exercise Or Even Go Get A Heating Pad From A Store Near By.
I fell down no fault of mine,I slipped on something at a school in Fort Bend ISD in Missouri city from the 2nd down ,to this day I am still suffering this happenend in April of 2008 broken tail bone,knee surgery,lumbar spine disc bulging,lumbar dics herniation and more the insurance company say its all degeneration.Texas is the worst state in the nation to get good help .The management firm is so bad and will not help.Lost in a maze.
i bruised my tail bone while working out @ gym ...
i was doing dumbbell press n while getting up i bruised my tail bone @ the end of the bench as it got all the pressure of the dumbbells(30 kgs) n my upper body ( the bench was not proper n i blame it for my injury)..

it was 3-4 months ago ...
the pain has subsided quite a bit but it still hurts while sitting for a longer period or riding bikes

m 24 yrs old n by reading all of those comments n experiences i have a feeling that i got to live with this pain for the rest of my life... :(

thanks for sharing ur pain
this made me not to feel alone ...
over a year ago I woke up one morning and could hardly get out of bed. After many dr visits and exrays  mri`s etc I found out my tail bone is broken at a 90  degree angel can not hardly do anything even though I am on pain meds . Can you tell me what your Dr did to help you . My orthapedic said he could remove the two bones at the end but it is not an easy operation because of the area and could have problem with infection . Would be grateful to hear back from you .
Thank you missinpain
my daughter had the surgery TWICE - removing one section each time. Its been two years since tyhe surgery-her tailbone STILL hurts her. I don't frquent this site. I was actually looking for another form of relief for her because nothing is working
Wow, there are a LOT of people with injured tailbones!! Like everyone else, I broke mine in early 80's. Couldn't sit or do much of anything for about three yrs. Finally went to great back program at Good Samaritian Hosp. in Phx., Az. Underwent physical therapy(made me worse) occupational therapy, and psychotherapy. Dr. realized that nothing was helping; had a growth off of my broken coccyx that was pressing on my sciatic nerve in my left leg,causing even more pain and loss of mobility. Surgery was the last option but thank heavens I had it. After a few days was almost as good as new! Now that I'm much older(had surgery in '85) it does bother me but not nearly like it did, have had epidurals but never helped. I would recommend finding a good ortho and going from there. Time sometimes will heal but not always as in my case. I unfortunately have to disagree with DC and ice. I was told by more than one reputable (sp) orthopedic surgeon that having my back popped by a chiropracter could cause damage to my spinal cord. I am NOT saying not to entertain going to a chiropracter, I'm just stating what I was told. Good luck, Tired55
I also broke my tailbone about 4 years ago and am still in pain when I sit for a long period of time or lay the wrong way in bed. It also sometimes bothers me when running up and down stairs. I have just learned to deal with it as you have too. Thanks for sharing a similar story!
ya i too have a similar problem since i have a dislocated tailbone the doctor suggest that before we get up from the bed turn sideways and then try to get up no kind of direct pressure on the bone should be there. U even mentioned that U have a prob whilst sleeping try putting a small pillow under ur back near the hollow it will relive ur pain please ensure to be comfortable
I have heard they never heal. I have not been able to sit comfortable in a car seat for years.
The tailbone can not be set is a cast.
i fell ice skating when i was 16yrs old after xrays it showed i had fractured the tailbone and dislodged 2 above..after manipulation, acupuncture, steriod based pain killing injections for a few yrs it was agreed that an op to remove the coxis would improve the pain but not guarentee pain free..i am now 42 yrs old and still in pain. any long distance traveling is like sitting on a knife and things like riding a bike, certain exercise machines are out..I have been told there is no cure..
I would give anything to be able to sit pain free and try anything but hey you never know, if they can send a man to the moon maybe they can fix my bum!!!!!
i hurt my tailbone during a soccer game i landed on it and i keeped playing on it the pain got wort and i had to come off the field i when back in the las 5 minutes to see how it felt it still hurt. That day the pain got worst and i got a massage on it to see if it helped and it hurt really bad, its been 3 days not and im still inpain not as bad but it hurts when i do fast movements when i cough and when i try getting up.should i see a DR.? i have state this weekend and i wanna play would this make it worst?
I cracked my tailbone in 2 places from walking and missing a step down on a marble floor.  That was 9 years ago, and still deal with the pain daily if I sit to long.  Sometimes it just hurts for no reason.  No cure that I know of. I feel for everyone that has this issue, and pray for healing for us all!
I have had pain for over 20 years I am finally seeing a doctor about it next week in North Carolina specializing in spine and tailbone injuries and yes I tried the cortisone shot and it was only temporary. I am tired of the pain in cars, airplanes, sitting, etc.
Last year I broke my tale bone and bent it,  today i think i broke it again.  Tomorrow I have a track mean and will be in the car for eight hours should i run with it and go or wait this one out. The pain is excruciating.  
I recently hurt my tailbone because a girl elbowed it during a soccer game. I got it xrayed and then went to the orthopedic to see what was up. Turns out its fractured, but luckily it is in a good spot to heal. I was prescribed some aleve pain killers that help so much with the pain. I also sit on a neck pillow (like the ones you use while traveling) to sit on, and that really helps. The orthopedic also said to let the water beat down on it gently in the shower with hot water and to deep message the area to help the blood circulate (he said it promotes healing). I also really like to buy heat pads from cvs and use them on that area. If you don't know if your tailbone is just bruised or if its broken or fractured, you should go to the doctor or get it xrayed just to be safe. I hope I helped and I hope all your tailbones feel better soon!
actualy squats and lunges are part of the physical threapy after pain starts subsiding
Seattlepain.... That is .So true, I had a sideways crash on an ice patch whilst snowboarding, it's been one week now and it still hurts , especially when I sneeze! A couple of days ago it started to itch - which I took as a good thing as that's what happens during healing right?
Positive thinking: I recon I will be mended next week.... Or the following week...ditto ditto, good luck all
i was riding my horse the other day and he decided to buck through an electric fence and get his legs caught he then bucked all the way down the track until we got to the yard which is concrete but covered in grass, i lost my balance and after another few bucks i came off but ending up going up and coming down backwards in a v shape so it was my tail bone that copped it first, my first thought was that i had broken my back couldn't move, i stayed there for about 10 minutes then got helped up and sat for a while, the bottom of my back is very swollen and bruised i cant get comfy at any time, i am also having headaches everyday mostly if i move and it hurts my back pain shoots from my head,, im stuck whether to go for x rays or just wait it out, as i want to be able to get back riding asap, the accident happened 3 days ago and is getting worse
thanks
I have been in constant pain with my coccyx since September 2010. I can't sit comfortably on anything - none of the coccyx cushions have helped me.
I can manage the pain by NEVER sitting down - unless it is absolutely essential - like sitting in a car - then I sit on an inflated swim-tyre. (I have tried lots of different sizes - and only certain ones help (24'')).  I generally fidget and keep trying to adjust my weight to stop the discomfort!! (I weigh 9 stone).
At home I stand, walk, lay down, crouch down or kneel. It makes life very difficult - and I don't like going out, or visiting people as I find my inability to sit on a seat makes me feel very self-conscious!
I was referred to physiotherapy originally - but they said it was notoriously difficult to treat - to try and bear the pain and hope it reduces - as the coccyx removal operation is really a last resort - and only has 50-50 success rate (and many are even worse afterwards!!)
Today I am on painkillers, lying on my front to type - wishing the pain would just go away so I could be 'normal' again.
It is good to read of others who understand - though I wish we could all be cured from this horrible pain.
Has you tailbone heal completely now. I hit mine 6 months ago and it still aches after sitting. This can last for hours.
I Had a bad fall off a horse, landing flat on my back..... I have a bruised or slightly fractured coccyx ... Thē thing I do is sit on the sofa with a hot water bottle and keep it ther ! My coccyx feels numb when in bed but when I get up its throbbing pain
I was at ER last night they xrayed and mine is only cracked not broken but they gave me 2 shots for pain I was in such bad pain it gave me a terrible headache and ran my blood pressure way up and its always perfect. they told me to rotate heat and ice unless I found that 1 helped more but to leave it on 15-20 minutes take a break and reapply after about 30 minutes they said to try and sleep on my side and I have never been able to sleep any way other than on my stomach even during pregnancy so he said to set in my recliner with a pillow or other cushion under my hips recline and put a pillow under my knees and its the most comfortable position I have found but I do have pain meds and believe anyone going through this pain needs them unless they are just totally against or for religion or other reasons. You can truly say this is a pain in the Butt..They told me 2 weeks I should have improvement to get back to doing some things but they did also say the pain could last for years or even for the rest of my life..Hope everyone feels better soon
Hi All...I don't know if this will be helpful to anyone.  I broke my tailbone when I was 9 years old  (during gym).  At the time,  my parents were told there wasn't much that could be done but it was very painful and especially, hard at night, when I was trying to sleep and so I would sleep on a book.  I would put it right under the bone and it would seem to alleviate the pain.  Eventually, it healed and over the years ( I'm now 47 yrs old),  I would have one of my siblings step on my back till it would crack (that particular area).  I have some pain from time to time...very mild though,  and will take tylenol to help me when the weather is bad but it's very manageable.  Best of luck to everyone.  
hello

my my most sound funny here. I had a scooter accident hit n run this idiot was probably pissed(drunk) lol and bashed me off the road but i fell on my arse on the tarmac ach jee that hurts. I landed hard on my coccyx and was lucky it didnt break i dont suggest anyone to have surgery there as your spine needs that part which is at the end and beginning of you anus. so healing will take umpteen years dont become a dr¨g addict as thats another issue with substance addiction. Oh lord. so please fill a warm or lekker(dutch for nice) hot bath use bath salts ylang ylang preferbly im serious its healing even for foot baths. however you have to have a bath and ly in it everyday. yep ja ja everyday. start your day with a salt bath and  end meaning going into dreamland with one. Guaranteed lekker no pain for a while.
Also the dougnut cushion or coccyx wedge should help. otherwise u are gonna be in pain always theres no cure once your spine cord is damaged for eg there so low it isnt like a herniated disc where your vertebraes disc be it cervical, lumbal or thoracal protudes onto the nerves causing pain your vertebrae can be fused or operated to relieve pain with titanium screws and plates. So no one mentioned pain when pooping if that and sneezing hurts then you have the worst case. Chiropractors and pysiotherapists are nutcases wanting to eat your dukus. just be careful they make it worse. do you have nerve or deep lying pain do not go near them. How on earth can the cure your spinal cord injury? rub rub ahaaha no they will hurt you more though it will seem its better at first as they usecreams that numb your muscles and skin. so go take a lekker lng hot salt bath theres no cure forget it and dont get hooked on drugs please. AND STP WINING GET OVER IT MOVE ON. DONT SIT THERE AND DO NOTHING AND SAY OUCH OUCH YOU WILL BECOME THE COUCH. I EVEN HAVE SEX WITH THIS INJURY SO CMON YOU CAN TOO. bye hugs xx MIA
I was walking out of the back dock, pulling a cart into a hallway when I tripped onto a straddle stacker. I fell and broke my tailbone.it hurts everyday. If  I take my napraxon it feels better. But when it wears off it hurts so bad I want to cry.
I broke my tailbone in 2 places... suffered for a few years never knew what was going on. I tried everything. I finally was referred to a pain management. I am getting epidural injections in my tailbone. what a big reiief, it's awesome I am getting them about every 6 months... that's how long they last me.. everybody is different. but I can move sit anything and not be in pain. I have had them now over a year.. It's much better than takin pain meds.   I hope this helps... give it a shot.. no pun intended... take care and good luck.
I am 5 months in, and am still in pretty sever pain. Going to see my dr again tomorrow because I feel like the pain has gotten worse in the last month.
I fell on my back 4 yrs ago and had bruised my tailbone, and the pain lasted for about 6 weeks. i was on pain killers then and after few months i had no pain at all. I joined work, 7 months later, after my child birth and now the pain seems to have returned. I am unable to sit for long time and it increase when i have stand from my sitting position. I have to sit now with one leg folder so that it relives the pain for a while and i can continue with my work.
I was racing a car on my rollerblades that was going about 20 mph and I  knew I was about to wipe out so I just landed by sitting down on the pavement Instead of landing on my face! ummm ok so as I slide very hard on the ground for roughly 30 ft. my cheeks well the skin was gone almost through the second layer, instantly it was so swollen bad. two days later where the ball use to be was a black circle where my tailbone was although it still kills and its been like 2 weeks I am experiencing other issues like sore skin and extreme hot flashes that in the moment I feel I could literally pass out! any suggestions for the all over the body pain/sensitivity I dnt have a rash or anything. my mom said something about my sciatica nerve or something idk..... any new fresh thoughts and ideas are welcome..... thank u so much

-
I fell out of hammock onto tail bone and it took about 2 years to completely subside (pain would just come on occasion when sitting a certain way). Hadn't thought about it in 10 years until a week ago I went into a sexual position angled on the arm of a couch and too much pressure was given again to the coccyx and it has become very inflamed. Is a little painful :-( My point is, if there has been injury in the past, be exceptionally careful in the future!!
I fractured my coccyx in May 2008, and am still in pain now - it seems to have become worse over the last 3-4 years.  I don;t like taking painkillers unless I really have to. My worse pain is in the morning trying to get out of bed - it seems to lock and the pain is unbearable.I really I need half hour to get out of bed but life doesn't allow that unfortunately.  I visit the gym and take all types of classes, including Pilates which is a short term fix as is a massage too, but the pain comes back soon after - definitely the next morning.  What's the next step?? Do I visit a chiropractor or a oesteopath? and how about rheumatism setting in? How do I sleep at night properly too? Help anyone with ideas.....thanks
Hi there, I've been reading your responses about tailbone injury... I have a sort of similar problem and nothing seems to be making a difference. In February 2015, I went to sit down in my large easy chair which was missing some of the padding on the arm and had a couple of apolstry staples sticking out in that area. I misjudged how I was angled when sitting and wound up smashing my tailbone right into the unpadded staples with my entire 180lbs of weight right into the center of my tailbone! I have been to the doctor about 5 or 6 times now for this injury and have done everything from icing, to not putting pressure on it, to stool softeners, to pain medications which are quite strong! The pain is not getting any better still, and it's now the middle of November! I don't know what to do now, what to ask my doctors, or what to request as far as treatment. The pain is often times so overwhelming that it causes me to vomit and shake! Do you have any thoughts, ideas, or suggestions on what I which direction I should go in next?
I bashed mine on a stone plant pot 13 months ago. I have been to a chiropractor, use a massager daily, use voltarol and cuprofen. Nowt is making it easier. I have also developed sciatica on the left side and a slipped disc on the right side - since my accident. Every day 1 of these 3 areas cause me pain. Fortunately not all 3!  I had an mri on my back just waiting for results... It appears from everyone elses story that we've just gotta wait it out. Bummer (no pun intended) I know... I'm gonna check out those wedge things. All the best, take care and good luck x
I fell as well, skateboarding, at thirty years of age. I know lol. It's been a month and still butthurt. It was a nasty fall. I noticed when I tried to get out of chair at work or at home it caused me pain. Butt if I closed my legs when getting up it was not as bad.
my mother is having a coccyx fracture and it has been like a  month..The doctor has advised to to put hot water bag over it..but when i searched about this it is saying to apply ice pack..what is actually right to do please help me with it???
OMG, yes, the sneezing! (While we're on bodily functions - don't try to stifle a fart; that's even more painful!)
I got bucked off my horse three days ago and bruised my tailbone pretty badly.  Landed right on me arse.  Went to the doc in a box and they did xrays and said the large bone wasn't broken, but the little triangle on the end was "too fuzzy to see" and after three xrays I opted to just accept the fact that it's bruised.  They told me they didn't do anything about it if it was broken anyway.  (They did try to schedule me for a CT scan, to which I declined......no point in spending the money.)

Anyway, I don't guess it's as bad as it could be, as the pain has lessened some since the injury.  (Later that same day, riding in a truck brought me to a crying fit.....and I've had 2 children naturally and passed 4 kidney stones without pain meds.)  But I do work a desk job full time and have an hour commute to and from work.  So far the driving and sitting are the worst.  Sleeping is getting better, and standing up from the car or a chair takes some time.  

I'm hoping the pain continues to lessen.  A dull ache for the rest of my life would be tolerable, but this is still sharp pains at certain angles.  
I have brown my tailbone twice in my life.  Once at 14 and again about 6 months ago.  Both from falling straight down into a seated position. This last time I went 9 days without going to the ER but the pain became so bad I couldn't handle it anymore. The Dr told me I broke it straight in half. Unfortunately even with pain medication the pain has been there since the first time.