Birth Control (Contraception) Forum

paragard

I went to planned parenthood today and I took a pregnancy test and was in fact not pregnant. I got the paragard while I was there. Most painful thing I've ever had. I started bleeding right away and now the bleeding is super light. But I'm having severe cramping and have since I got it put in. How long does the severe cramping last? Its miserable and is worse when I sit. Laying down, I hardly feel them. And when I stand. For some reason when I sit, they feel worse. I have school tomorrow and it will be tortue having to sit for 4 straight hours with this cramping. Tylenol and mortin do not help eitber.
Hi!
The GOOD news about the IUD is that it should
last you until 2018 if all goes well. The insertion can be unpleasant, unfortunately.  If you were my patient, I would advise you to try Aleve and if that doesn't work, you may wish to call your provider because, he/she may be able to give you a mild narcotic pain reliever to get you through the first few days until the cramping is more bareable.
Good luck!
Dr B
ALSO--if the pain continues beyond a few days, you may want to request an ultrasound to be certain that the IUD is located properly in the uterus