A
A
A
Close
Breastfeeding Community
1.66k Members
1566213 tn?1331004562

Breast feeding and period

My son is now 2 months old and I have been breast feeding him for most of it. He gets formula maybe once or twice every other day. At 4 weeks I began birth control (pill) and have been taking it every day as prescribed. I was on the pill before pregnancy and would have a period during the last week of the month cycle. Well that week came and gone, but I had no period. Can breast feeding be a reason for this? I've read that breast feeding can cause you to not have a period right away. Any advice? Oh, I am still breast feeding. Not sure if I made it sound like I no longer do it.
2 Responses
179530 tn?1368940203
It's great that you're still breastfeeding & it is true that breastfeeding may delay cycles. :)

Keep up the good work mama! Let us know if you would like to go to exclusive breastfeeding, we may have suggestions for increasing supply.
757137 tn?1347200053
Most women who breastfeed do not get their periods and do not get pregnant. There are always exceptions, of course, but that was always considered one of the advantages of breastfeeding.

Does taking birth-control pills while breastfeeding affect the baby?
Top Babies Answerers
287071 tn?1365196113
St. Paul, MN
Learn About Top Answerers
Popular Resources
Approaching your due date? Look for these signs of labor.
Fearing autism, many parents aren't vaccinating their kids. Can doctors reverse this dangerous trend?
Learn which over-the-counter medicines are safe for you and your baby
Your guide to safely exercising throughout your 40 weeks.
What to expect in your growing baby
Learn which foods aren't safe to eat when you're eating for two.