Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close
179530 tn?1368936603

Breastfeeding Class

I've been teaching breastfeeding classes for a while and today I'm teaching another at 4. I feel like I've lost my pep and ended up in routine.

What's the most valuable thing you've learned from a breastfeeding class?

I'm in need of inspiration.
29 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
179530 tn?1368936603
Any other suggestions?
Helpful - 0
1346146 tn?1299360497
I can't vote on my phone...I vote benefits....I noticed that in the bf class I took years ago there was not enough attention paid to the importance of proper latch.  The only reason I figured it out was a lot of reading and self education.  I just know a lot of problems can be avoided if baby latches properly. (Nipple soreness, supply, etc) Just my 2 cents.
Helpful - 0
defiantly proper latch, i struggled with all my others and gave in with in a couple of months, this time i was taught properly by a b/f expert and im still b/f today at 15/16mths!!
Helpful - 0
1544968 tn?1548521929
I would talk about anticipated anxiety and possible barriers. A friend of mine has been anxious about breastfeeding. She said her little daughter would have a "firm bite" and trying to breastfeed her would have hurt too much. Her nipples must have become sore although she used nipple shields. She did not seek any counselling because not being able to breastfeed her child made her feel like a lousy mother.
Helpful - 0
179530 tn?1368936603
Those are really great suggestions. I have 20 mins before starting. Thank you ladies.

If you want to add more, go ahead! I can always use them. I teach at least one class/month.
Helpful - 0
1006035 tn?1485575897
I would also talk about laws regarding breast feeding. For instance women are allowed to breast feed in any public place. No one can tell them to stop. But, I would also suggest ways to breast feed in public that are appropriate and tactful.

I might also mention something about the benefit of using a pump. It helps increase the milk flow and you can freeze it indefinitely. Just make sure you don't heat it up in the microwave. I think bf classes are a great idea!
Helpful - 0
179530 tn?1368936603
Good point! I do cover the laws protecting bf women in workplace and in public or private locations, but I'm really glad you brought up the microwave! I always forget to tell moms how to thaw out frozen breast milk!

I had one mom start crying once I found out she had been using a microwave and told her it destroys valuable live factors in her milk & can cause hot spots. :( Good point... And of course I didn't bring it up in yesterday's class. I will definitely make sure I do during my next class.
Helpful - 0
640548 tn?1340553355
I think it's important that women are really understanding how to tell if their babies are getting enough.  Sooo may times I hear women saying they HAD to supplement with formula because their babies were starving, when really it wasn't an issue at all.

I also think knowledge of the long term benefits are important so women don't get discouraged when their in-laws tell them the baby has teeth, it's time to stop. =)

It's really all important, support is the number one factor in breastfeeding success I believe, and so many women just don't know where to find it.  Providing contacts for resources on a small card would be a good help for them too.  They will always have it at their fingertips.
Helpful - 0
179530 tn?1368936603
I agree! :) Very good! I always tell them benefits, but not long term. Thank you! Thank you!
Helpful - 0
1813627 tn?1337722375
i am thinking about taking the breast feeding class at the hospital. Would my husband get anything out of this class or is it just for me?
Helpful - 0
640548 tn?1340553355
Just my 2 cents, but I'd bring him.  He will likely be your biggest source of support, and he may remember things that you don't.  It never hurts to have a second set of ears and if he has the knowledge and understanding he can be a wonderful help.
Helpful - 0
1813627 tn?1337722375
thanks so much! Also, I am 23 weeks typically when is a good time to start signing up for theses classes? sorry for all the questions.
Helpful - 0
1742167 tn?1436471720
I didn't read through all of the comments to see if this was brought up already.  But for me, the biggest thing I learned from my lactation consultant with my son was how to get him to latch on.  I had flat/inverted nipples and was engorged when my milk came in.  She basically described it as trying to get him to latch onto the wall (lol).  Without her techniques, I wouldn't have made it through the first week, let alone the 9 months I did with my little man. :)
Helpful - 0
179530 tn?1368936603
Congratulations! Don't be sorry. We love the questions!

Sign up ASAP. You can never have too many classes! A lot of my moms just found out they are pg.

If you ever want to know more about BF, you can post here and get really great answers! :)
Helpful - 0
179530 tn?1368936603
Also a good point! Inverted nipples are a fairly common "problem" and may require special techniques for a proper latch. Thank you so much for the input.
Helpful - 0
1330108 tn?1333677304
Tell them how milk separates and DO NOT SHAKE THE MILK!
Helpful - 0
231441 tn?1333892766
Hi,

From my persepective it is Major just to reassure women that they can breastfeed.  Knowing what is and isn't normal.  That baby will get enough.  

That they can get through whatever difficulties they encounter.

Knowing benefits of breastfeeing of course also really helps when the going is tough.

Hand expression is really useful.  That is it ok and can work really well.  I pump, but often finish off with manual expression and can sometimes get more milk that way.
Helpful - 0
179530 tn?1368936603
Good point Sun. It's not fun to find out LATER that the milk you work so hard to produce can easily be partially destroyed.
Helpful - 0
179530 tn?1368936603
I agree Super Sal. Hand expression is an actual lifesaver. In other countries where breastfeeding is the "norm norm", they can't leave the OB w/o knowing how to hand express. (Just like we can't leave w/o proving we have a safe carseat) :)
Helpful - 0
What are all the benefits of breastfeeding? Im going to.be going thru making a parenting plan with the father. Im 25 weeks now and i wanna have the privilege of breastfeeding my son and have that bonding with him. Lawyer tried to tell me today it was beneficial to pump right away because if the BD wants to take him overnight i will jist havw to pump even if he is a week old.
Helpful - 0
1528695 tn?1360582320
okay did i miss something? what's with the no shaking of the milk?
Helpful - 0
179530 tn?1368936603
It should be swirled instead to avoid killing live factors.
Helpful - 0
287071 tn?1365192513
I love skin to skin time but that wasn't the most helpful thing for me.  I still will lift my shirt to expose my belly and give my kids a 'belly hug' - feels so warm and they love it too!
Helpful - 0
I would provide local resources for assistance...for example, is there someone available to help them if their employer resists providing them a private place to pump? Who can they call if they do have a latch issue?
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Breastfeeding Community

Top Babies Answerers
287071 tn?1365192513
St. Paul, MN
Learn About Top Answerers
Popular Resources
Approaching your due date? Look for these signs of labor.
Fearing autism, many parents aren't vaccinating their kids. Can doctors reverse this dangerous trend?
Learn which over-the-counter medicines are safe for you and your baby
Your guide to safely exercising throughout your 40 weeks.
What to expect in your growing baby
Learn which foods aren't safe to eat when you're eating for two.