Breastfeeding Class

I've been teaching breastfeeding classes for a while and today I'm teaching another at 4. I feel like I've lost my pep and ended up in routine.

What's the most valuable thing you've learned from a breastfeeding class?

I'm in need of inspiration.
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
Hi Melanie,

the best advice I can give you for this baby is to feed on demand.  As soon as baby is born she should be put to your breast.  After that feed as often as baby wants (even if that is every 1/2 hour on some days - this is how baby increases your supply).  You can also try manual expression of breast milk after each feed (many find it easier and quicker with a bit of practice).  Supplementing is the worst thing you can ddo for your supply as breast milk is a supply and demand, if you reduce demand by supplementing, then your supply will drop.

Expressed milk can be fed to baby (if required) using a cup rather than a bottle, to avoid nipple confusion.

Do work with a lactation consultant if you have issues.

Hope all goes great for you.  congratulations on your coming baby.
Helpful - 0
I see this is an old thread but I have 4 children, 3 I had in my 20's and now a 13 month old I am also pregnant again. I will be 48 when #5 comes along (GOD Willing) anyway 1 and 2 no problems, 3 didn't thrive had to suppliment and 4 lost so much weight in the first month i caved and tried to pump but that didn't work.  Please tell me! They tred to push me to pump as soon as she was born but I was so afraid she wouldn't take to me that I didn't and it was painful that it didn't work. Any advise on what I should do this time? Ideally want to breast feed!
Thanks,
Melanie
Helpful - 0
I voted "how to tell if the baby is getting enough"... Moms get spooked quickly. I believe "supply in demand" is important as well, but if I had only one choice, I would choose "how to tell..."
Helpful - 0
okay here's something i wish someone would have told me... dedication (early days) and how hard it would be NOT to fall to the pressure to stop.

Dedication because in the beginning i had over supply. I got comfortable with my output and gave into the tiredness and slacked off a bit (with pumping) and before you know it my supply dropped. I tried increasing it and my pumping but at that point it was too late. My new "normal" is WAY less than it use to be....

The pressure to switch over to formula when my supply did decrease was unreal. everyone around me would say she needed more, i needed to suppliment, and worse yet maybe it was time to stop. All of which i heard on the daily making my breastfeeding relationship soooo hard.
Helpful - 0
I voted supply in demand. I didn't take a class but I attended a couple of La Leche meetings and they helped me to understand this.

if I was teaching a class like this I would really work to help new Mom's be less fearful about supply. I was anxious those first few weeks about my supply being enough. It is such a common fear but I think it could be helped with the right support.

I would also add beneficial diet items to the class...like eating oatmeal in the mornings or drinking Mother's Milk tea. Even if they didn't help a thing, it made me feel better having oatmeal in the mornings and drinking my tea. I felt like I was being pro-active to help my supply.
Helpful - 0
I would provide local resources for assistance...for example, is there someone available to help them if their employer resists providing them a private place to pump? Who can they call if they do have a latch issue?
Helpful - 0
I love skin to skin time but that wasn't the most helpful thing for me.  I still will lift my shirt to expose my belly and give my kids a 'belly hug' - feels so warm and they love it too!
Helpful - 0
It should be swirled instead to avoid killing live factors.
Helpful - 0
okay did i miss something? what's with the no shaking of the milk?
Helpful - 0
What are all the benefits of breastfeeding? Im going to.be going thru making a parenting plan with the father. Im 25 weeks now and i wanna have the privilege of breastfeeding my son and have that bonding with him. Lawyer tried to tell me today it was beneficial to pump right away because if the BD wants to take him overnight i will jist havw to pump even if he is a week old.
Helpful - 0
I agree Super Sal. Hand expression is an actual lifesaver. In other countries where breastfeeding is the "norm norm", they can't leave the OB w/o knowing how to hand express. (Just like we can't leave w/o proving we have a safe carseat) :)
Helpful - 0
Good point Sun. It's not fun to find out LATER that the milk you work so hard to produce can easily be partially destroyed.
Helpful - 0

From my persepective it is Major just to reassure women that they can breastfeed.  Knowing what is and isn't normal.  That baby will get enough.  

That they can get through whatever difficulties they encounter.

Knowing benefits of breastfeeing of course also really helps when the going is tough.

Hand expression is really useful.  That is it ok and can work really well.  I pump, but often finish off with manual expression and can sometimes get more milk that way.
Helpful - 0
Tell them how milk separates and DO NOT SHAKE THE MILK!
Helpful - 0
Also a good point! Inverted nipples are a fairly common "problem" and may require special techniques for a proper latch. Thank you so much for the input.
Helpful - 0
Congratulations! Don't be sorry. We love the questions!

Sign up ASAP. You can never have too many classes! A lot of my moms just found out they are pg.

If you ever want to know more about BF, you can post here and get really great answers! :)
Helpful - 0
I didn't read through all of the comments to see if this was brought up already.  But for me, the biggest thing I learned from my lactation consultant with my son was how to get him to latch on.  I had flat/inverted nipples and was engorged when my milk came in.  She basically described it as trying to get him to latch onto the wall (lol).  Without her techniques, I wouldn't have made it through the first week, let alone the 9 months I did with my little man. :)
Helpful - 0
thanks so much! Also, I am 23 weeks typically when is a good time to start signing up for theses classes? sorry for all the questions.
Helpful - 0
Just my 2 cents, but I'd bring him.  He will likely be your biggest source of support, and he may remember things that you don't.  It never hurts to have a second set of ears and if he has the knowledge and understanding he can be a wonderful help.
Helpful - 0
i am thinking about taking the breast feeding class at the hospital. Would my husband get anything out of this class or is it just for me?
Helpful - 0
I agree! :) Very good! I always tell them benefits, but not long term. Thank you! Thank you!
Helpful - 0
I think it's important that women are really understanding how to tell if their babies are getting enough.  Sooo may times I hear women saying they HAD to supplement with formula because their babies were starving, when really it wasn't an issue at all.

I also think knowledge of the long term benefits are important so women don't get discouraged when their in-laws tell them the baby has teeth, it's time to stop. =)

It's really all important, support is the number one factor in breastfeeding success I believe, and so many women just don't know where to find it.  Providing contacts for resources on a small card would be a good help for them too.  They will always have it at their fingertips.
Helpful - 0
Good point! I do cover the laws protecting bf women in workplace and in public or private locations, but I'm really glad you brought up the microwave! I always forget to tell moms how to thaw out frozen breast milk!

I had one mom start crying once I found out she had been using a microwave and told her it destroys valuable live factors in her milk & can cause hot spots. :( Good point... And of course I didn't bring it up in yesterday's class. I will definitely make sure I do during my next class.
Helpful - 0
I would also talk about laws regarding breast feeding. For instance women are allowed to breast feed in any public place. No one can tell them to stop. But, I would also suggest ways to breast feed in public that are appropriate and tactful.

I might also mention something about the benefit of using a pump. It helps increase the milk flow and you can freeze it indefinitely. Just make sure you don't heat it up in the microwave. I think bf classes are a great idea!
Helpful - 0
2

You are reading content posted in the Breastfeeding Community