Aa
A
A
A
Close
Breastfeeding Community
1.66k Members
14868695 tn?1443396776

Hydrocodone/acetaminophen while breastfeeding?

Is it okay to take this? I've been given it since I gave birth 2 days ago. Will it effect my baby?
5 Responses
I doubt your doctor would tell you to take it if it was gonna effect your baby.
I've had it every birth and when I had dental work while nursing. The Dr said so little gets to your milk that its OK to take(as long as you take as prescribed)
It was prescribed after all my births, too. Babies seemed unaffected. The nurses encouraged me to switch to ibuprofen as soon as I was able, not so much for the baby but because it tends to help with any inflammation and also isn't as constipating. Congratulations!
287071 tn?1365192513
I was only ever given ibuprofen.  I agree with the others, if the doctors know you just had a baby and are nursing, they wouldn't give you anything that would harm your baby.
Hi.. I'm wondering ( because my doc prescribed me norcos throughout my whole pregnancy) and my baby was born just fine , I'm still taking while breastfeeding and they say that's fine too .. But do any of you know if this is,really OK ?
Top Babies Answerers
287071 tn?1365192513
St. Paul, MN
Learn About Top Answerers
Popular Resources
Approaching your due date? Look for these signs of labor.
Fearing autism, many parents aren't vaccinating their kids. Can doctors reverse this dangerous trend?
Learn which over-the-counter medicines are safe for you and your baby
Your guide to safely exercising throughout your 40 weeks.
What to expect in your growing baby
Learn which foods aren't safe to eat when you're eating for two.