Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close
640932 tn?1274128502

New here: my story

My son, Eli, was born at 34.5 weeks. He was healthy and didn't spend much time in the NICU. We started our BFing journey by bottle feeding him my colostrum because he didn't suck very well in the beginning. By the second day my milk came in and we started BFing exclusively. We got the results from his jaudice test and we needed to start the lights. Also we were told he had lost 8% of his body weight. We decided to pump and bottle feed until we could get him out of the hospital. We left the hospital after an 82 hour stay. At home we struggled with some nipple confusion but got him back to the breast within 24 hours by switching to dropper feedings after each attempt at the breast. Then the pain came. Sadly, we ended up with thrush. We've been fighting it for over a week now and I'm pretty frustrated. We started with gentian violet and probiotics. They helped but it seemed like every evening the pain would get worse again. Today I called his doc and got nystatin drop for him and APNO cream for me. If that doesn't help by monday, we will start diflucan. I can't wait for the day when we can feed on demand and not have any pain. I just wanted to share my story so some of you can relate or offer advice/encouragment. TIA
~Stacey
2 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
162948 tn?1205252692
I would like to offer encouragement to stick with it. Yeast is terribly painful and once you are past this it will get much better. My daughter was born at 35 weeks and it took over 6 weeks to get her to just breastfeed, but in the end she exclusively nursed over a year. She grew to be in the 95 percentile for weight and height! And I so enjoyed nursing her. You are doing a great job!
Helpful - 0
287071 tn?1365192513
Sorry for your pain but good for you for keeping at it! I had a lot of pain on one side b/c of an inverted nipple. I remember a nurse at the hospital telling me that nursing was 'toe curlingly painful'!!  I always had lanolin on hand and it helped through the first few days/weeks or so...  Best of luck with things!!
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Breastfeeding Community

Top Babies Answerers
287071 tn?1365192513
St. Paul, MN
Learn About Top Answerers
Popular Resources
Approaching your due date? Look for these signs of labor.
Fearing autism, many parents aren't vaccinating their kids. Can doctors reverse this dangerous trend?
Learn which over-the-counter medicines are safe for you and your baby
Your guide to safely exercising throughout your 40 weeks.
What to expect in your growing baby
Learn which foods aren't safe to eat when you're eating for two.