New here: my story

My son, Eli, was born at 34.5 weeks. He was healthy and didn't spend much time in the NICU. We started our BFing journey by bottle feeding him my colostrum because he didn't suck very well in the beginning. By the second day my milk came in and we started BFing exclusively. We got the results from his jaudice test and we needed to start the lights. Also we were told he had lost 8% of his body weight. We decided to pump and bottle feed until we could get him out of the hospital. We left the hospital after an 82 hour stay. At home we struggled with some nipple confusion but got him back to the breast within 24 hours by switching to dropper feedings after each attempt at the breast. Then the pain came. Sadly, we ended up with thrush. We've been fighting it for over a week now and I'm pretty frustrated. We started with gentian violet and probiotics. They helped but it seemed like every evening the pain would get worse again. Today I called his doc and got nystatin drop for him and APNO cream for me. If that doesn't help by monday, we will start diflucan. I can't wait for the day when we can feed on demand and not have any pain. I just wanted to share my story so some of you can relate or offer advice/encouragment. TIA
~Stacey
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
I would like to offer encouragement to stick with it. Yeast is terribly painful and once you are past this it will get much better. My daughter was born at 35 weeks and it took over 6 weeks to get her to just breastfeed, but in the end she exclusively nursed over a year. She grew to be in the 95 percentile for weight and height! And I so enjoyed nursing her. You are doing a great job!
Helpful - 0
Sorry for your pain but good for you for keeping at it! I had a lot of pain on one side b/c of an inverted nipple. I remember a nurse at the hospital telling me that nursing was 'toe curlingly painful'!!  I always had lanolin on hand and it helped through the first few days/weeks or so...  Best of luck with things!!
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Breastfeeding Community