PCOS and breastfeeding

My little turtle is 2 weeks old and I have had to supplement with formula since the hospital. I got a manual pump to see how much he was feeding and between both breasts all I get is 1oz. I want to exclusively breast feed and feel so guilty for not providing enough supply. I called a lactation center and they explained that what I pump is not accurate to what he eats, it could be more or less so they suggested I rent a hospital grade pump and pump before and after each feeding to see if my supply increases at all because pcos.(polycistic ovarian syndrome) is a marker for low supply. Im definitely getting one because I really want to breast feed him. But the frustration and guilt keeps piling up. Today I've only supplemented him twice and strictly Brewster's him the rest of the feedings but he would wake up to eat on the hour and during the day I can handle it because after all im on maternity leave but at night I supplement at least twice so that he sleeps a little bit longer. Anyone who has had this problem and has successfully breast fed their munchkin?
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
I’m sorry you’re feeling this way sister. Guilt is a normal feeling to have as a mother, no matter how we are feeding, or what we are doing. It is true that PCOS can affect your supply as it is a hormonal issue. My favorite topic in breastfeed just so happens to be hormones! I love to tell mothers how they can “trick” their body into supplying more milk by boosting their hormones. The pump can help since it will boost your prolactin levels, but it won’t supply oxytocin. Oxytocin is boosted by skin to skin contact with your baby, thinking of your baby, relaxing, smelling your baby in a calm quite atmosphere, and mostly triggered by nipple stimulation! Yes, “playing w/ your nipples” before pumping or simply and more efficiently hand expressing the milk will super boost your oxytocin. By simply using a pump, you will only supply more prolactin via milk removal, but once both hormones start surging, nothing can stop your supply… whether it’s starvation, stress, or dehydration. (although we don’t want any of those either for your sake) Your turtle is going to get what he needs. :) Until you’ve gotten your supply where it needs to be, try not to beat yourself up for supplementing. You’re doing an awesome job sister! You’ll get there. Just remember, anytime your baby is supplemented, you must express milk to keep up w/ baby’s demand. Right after baby is done feeding from the breast is another good time to hand express or pump w/ massage and nipple stimulation. (The only pump that supplies both hormones is a compression pump).

You mentioned wanting baby to sleep longer. Tell us about your baby’s sleeping patterns. (*Fun Fact -Breast milk is easily digestible causing baby to wake up more frequently. This is why it greatly decreases their risks for SIDS)

Give yourself a pat on the back sister & know that we're here cheering you on. Any other questions and stories are very welcome! We can't wait to hear an update.
Helpful - 0
Wwhen I strictly breastfeed he sleeps 1 hour. If I supplement he sleeps about 2 1/2 maybe 3 occasionally.  I do the skin to skin but mostly at night,  ill start doing it more often to see where it takes me..thank you for the response!!  It helps to know that I may not be so doomed after all.
Helpful - 0
and let's not forget the famous 2-week growth spurt that has so many mommas coming here asking the same question. I had an oversupply, but you are still describing my little one's eating habits at that age.
You have to be careful. If you skip a nursing session to supplement, you still have to pump when he would have nursed. Those crazy endless nursing sessions around growth spurts serve to build mom's milk supply while meeting his growing needs. You may actually have more than enough milk.
Helpful - 0
Thank you for "the best answer" vote. :) That's very nice.
I'm glad the info helps. :)

I'm w/ tiredbuthappy too. Baby may be going through a growth spurt too. :) It sounds like after supply is picked up, your baby will have gotten your supply where it needs to be. This waking up every hour scenario will be very temporary. How do you feel about sleeping w/ baby close?

Helpful - 0
ive been told with the bottle they are force fed more (can't regulate how much comes out the nipple of a bottle per suck) and eat more before they know they are full.... then end up sleeping more. Also, formula takes longer to break down than breastmilk so there's more time until they feel hungry again.

The problem is, unless your planning on pumping to feed rather than formula, your supply will take a drop a bit and this early on you can ever risk nipple confusion.
Helpful - 0
He sleeps next to my bed right now.  I am trying to just breastfeed but he cries because he still hungry. My suuply is affected by high testosterone levels and low hormone levels. I am breastfeeding as much as possible with hopes that my supply will not disappear.  He takes my nipple with no problem as well as other different ones. Ive continued to pump with an electric pump and continue to only get 1oz. It drives me nuts because I would love to exclusively breastfeed. If I pump after he starts crying I get less than 1/2oz and then it stops coming out. I've even tried hand pumping. I would love to have tons of milk so when I go back to work I don't have to worry about this...but it's just not increasing at all.
Helpful - 0
I'm so sorry this is happening.

Are you hand pumping (manual pump) or hand expressing (removing milk w/ fingers)?

Even if you only get a little out, it is still demanding that your body makes more and overtime it will. (You may not make as much as someone w/o hormonal issues, but let's get you to the point that you won't have to supplement when you go back to work) *Also keep in mind that once you return to work, federal law in America protects you to take as many breaks as needed to express milk. (and it is the employers responsibility to find you a clean place free of intrusion, that is NOT a bathroom) :)
Helpful - 0
I am doing all 3!! Hand expressing,  manual pump and electric!  I'm desperate!!  I'm not worried about pumping at work,  they are amazing and very considerate!  I'll continue what I'm doing in hopes that i get to the point of exclusively breastfeeding! What aggravates me is that i wish and want to breastfeed so much but can't.  All the pediatric doctor said was that somemmilk is better than none and I believe this too,  but feel as I'm failing my turtle. Thanks for all the input!  I really appreciate it.
Helpful - 0
try and relax. whenever i would stress about my supply, it would drop even more :(
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Breastfeeding Community