A
A
Close
Breastfeeding Community
1.66k Members
422823 tn?1229736847

Pumping for Storage

I would appreciate any guidance:

I have a 3 1/2 week old who is exclusivly breastfed and gaining weight like a champ.  I have been pumping to store up for going back to work. Ive tried pumping at different times and no matter what I do I cant get more than an ounce per breast.  I pumped with my now 1 yr old and at that time I got nearly three ounces from each side ever time I pumped in addition to nursings. Im on fenugreek and blessed thistle, no real improvement and one ounce isnt going to feed my baby when I go back to work.
Note:  I currently nurse every 1-2 hours, but only for a couple minutes at a time, itis all my little guy can manage he has terrible reflux but is gaining weight very well.
2 Responses
422823 tn?1229736847
Wanted to add that I am using a Medela Pump in Style Advanced- Double Electric
171768 tn?1324230099
i would try  nursing from 1 side only for 2 to 3 hours, even if you are putting him back onto a breast he just fed from. That can actually help with reflux too because he'll get more hind milk. Then you pump the otherside. it only took me a couple of days for this routine to be established. after a while, both breasts starting producing enough for a feed every 2 hours.

my other thought would be to take a look at your pump. .Do the horns fit comfortably? Did you change the little white membranes recently? Does the pump feel like it has enough suction? play around with settings- it should never be high. Are you doing compressions while you pump?

FInally, cut yourself a little slack. You're only 3 weeks into this whole process! It took me weeks to build up a surplus. An ouce per breast extra at each feed is actually pretty good so early on!
Top Babies Answerers
287071 tn?1365192513
St. Paul, MN
Learn About Top Answerers
Popular Resources
Approaching your due date? Look for these signs of labor.
Fearing autism, many parents aren't vaccinating their kids. Can doctors reverse this dangerous trend?
Learn which over-the-counter medicines are safe for you and your baby
Your guide to safely exercising throughout your 40 weeks.
What to expect in your growing baby
Learn which foods aren't safe to eat when you're eating for two.