breastfeeding?

Im a first time mom in feb 14 and I dunno wat to do . I hear breastfeeding is really sore   .. is this true? Can u drink alcohol while breastfeeding? Was told by a midwife if u breastfed your baby 3 times it dont matter after that if you bottle fed or not? ..  wat be better? What did ye do and why?
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
It's a big decision. There are so many facts out there on the benefits of breastfeeding which of course we're going to share in a breastfeeding forum. :) You've read previous posts that mention cost, and bonding...but other things that make it beneficial is the antibodies that will be transferred from you to your baby which means less sick time, some studies show that breastfed babies don't eat as much later on so less likely to be obese, higher IQ's from breastfed babies, and may lower the risk of SIDS. and bonus....I lost the baby weight faster!!!! I've been breastfeeding and STILL have issues- I have to use a nipple shield. It's a love hate relationship for me, but I have decided this is the right choice for me. I have to make sure I am eating right because I am making sure she is getting all the nutrients she needs. My baby is sleeping through the night and is super healthy. You have to make the right decision for you. Hoping you choose to breastfeed. It's an experience many women feel regret for not continuing after the fact. Welcome to the group!
Helpful - 0
I just posted this on another post
Ha and waking up at early hours of the night to make bottles are gonna drive you crazy. It's better to get baby from sleeping area and pop a boob out. No washing countless bottles cuz your breast milk is already sterile. Good luck anyways in what ever you ladies decide is best for you.
A little math:
Similiac advanced 23.2 oz can at $23.99
First month baby will eat 1-3 oz every 2-3 hrs (8-12 times) lets say baby will eat 8 times and each he will eat 3 oz that tub will be gone in one day. So you'll be spending in that week alone $167.93 roughly depending on the size of the cans you buy.
Helpful - 0
Not true about the three times then bottle feed. My baby got nipple confusion after we had been breastfeeding for 3 weeks.  So be careful with that.
Helpful - 0
Having my mother breast feed all of her children especially my little brother till he was 5 made me want to do it. I'm in now way going to bf till my son is 5 but my goal is at least 1 yr. His health has been great (no cavities, ear infections, sore throat and he's very strong) vs myself that I weened my self off at 3 months for my mom was pregnant again with my twin sisters.

I'm not gonna lie the first couple of days were the hardest for me for baby didn't latch on correctly and I wasn't told till my last day in the hospital. But there are ways to help with the discomfort such as lanolin cream, cold pads.

If I were to drink I would pump and dump. I wouldn't want to give that to my baby at all for their poor little livers wouldn't be able to process it as we do and he could get a buzz effect. Plus there isn't studies that state if it causes problems for the little one. And I want my baby to stay as healthy as possible. He's now 2 months and I've been sober all this time.

I'm currently bf and pumping. So he has both. In the beginning he preferred the bottle but now he does great. Bf has great benefits not only for the baby but for yourself. The bonding you have with your child is awesome and losing weight while baby eats.
Helpful - 0
Hi I'm a ftm mom too my baby girl is 12 days old and I chose to breast feed not gonna lie the first couple of days were the hardest but it gets better I'm no longer sore the soreness at the beginning is well worth it and like comment above the breastfeeding forum is great :-) good luck
Helpful - 0
jassy 249 start reading up on it n watching videos. First two weeks are rough n painful bcz ure boobs are not used to it n have to toughen up. But it gets way better, its free,  its better for ure bby n best of all its such a beutiful bonding experience for u n bby. But I know on the brestfeeding forum there's such a great support system n will always be willing to help.. Good luck n I hope u suceed!!!
Helpful - 0
KDQ
They say if it hurts baby is latched on wrong.
Helpful - 0
I breastfed my first 2 kids and planning on doing it again for my 3rd. It didn't hurt to me either, its all about how the baby latches on. I recommend taking a class or reading so you can feel prepared, it helped me out a lot :-)
Helpful - 0
I haven't had my baby yet (due in march 2014) but as for alcohol, i heard you can drink but you have to use a pump and get rid of any milk you have as it can contain traces of the alcohol from your system. I plan on breastfeeding for a couple of months after birth. Congratulations on your baby (:
Helpful - 0
Hi I breast feed all 3 of my kids and I wilk be with my new baby.  I didnt find that it hurt while I was feeding just a bit of discomfort when my breast were full. But lettuce keafs xan help with any discomfort but uts well worth it.
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Breastfeeding Community