Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

tips to remove nipple shield?

My son was born at 35&2 and in order to track hos intake, the NICU made us bottle feed for the first week.  Hes now 2 weeks old and does well breastfeeding when we use a nipple shield. Id like to start moving towards removing the shield, but he gets frustrated with trying to latch and it makes it almost impossible. Any tips?
8 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
4484425 tn?1384228334
I've never had to deal with this so all I know is what I've heard. Try nursing for a few minutes so he's not so hungry and then try removing the nipple shield and attempt to get him to latch on. Also express a little milk so he knows it's food. Try to get your nipple to hit the roof of his mouth so he knows it's there.
Helpful - 0
5691681 tn?1375735348
What she said above is what i do with my daughter. After a few minutes of feeding I remove the shield and she gets pretty angry trying to latch on to me, but eventually grabs it. We use the shield all the time now though because she was having too much trouble trying to latch on to me. (small nipples lol). I hate having to hold the shield in place constantly, but oh well. Hopefully you will succeed =)
Helpful - 0
287071 tn?1365192513
That's what I've done - what tomorrow264 suggested.  I used a nipple shield on a limited basis… I'd nurse for a bit then take the baby off, remove the shield and keep going.  My son did fine with that.
Helpful - 0
I did that too and my son was fine with it.
Helpful - 0
Thank you ladies! We have successfully fed without the shield now for almost a full day!
Helpful - 0
4268628 tn?1375041176
That's awesome! I couldn't get my daughter to nurse without the shield. The only other trick was tilting your nipple up- but sounds like you didn't need that. :)
Helpful - 0
4484425 tn?1384228334
Awesome! Happy to hear that!
Helpful - 0
287071 tn?1365192513
Yeah!
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Breastfeeding Community

Top Babies Answerers
287071 tn?1365192513
St. Paul, MN
Learn About Top Answerers
Popular Resources
Approaching your due date? Look for these signs of labor.
Fearing autism, many parents aren't vaccinating their kids. Can doctors reverse this dangerous trend?
Learn which over-the-counter medicines are safe for you and your baby
Your guide to safely exercising throughout your 40 weeks.
What to expect in your growing baby
Learn which foods aren't safe to eat when you're eating for two.