tips to remove nipple shield?

My son was born at 35&2 and in order to track hos intake, the NICU made us bottle feed for the first week.  Hes now 2 weeks old and does well breastfeeding when we use a nipple shield. Id like to start moving towards removing the shield, but he gets frustrated with trying to latch and it makes it almost impossible. Any tips?
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
I've never had to deal with this so all I know is what I've heard. Try nursing for a few minutes so he's not so hungry and then try removing the nipple shield and attempt to get him to latch on. Also express a little milk so he knows it's food. Try to get your nipple to hit the roof of his mouth so he knows it's there.
Helpful - 0
What she said above is what i do with my daughter. After a few minutes of feeding I remove the shield and she gets pretty angry trying to latch on to me, but eventually grabs it. We use the shield all the time now though because she was having too much trouble trying to latch on to me. (small nipples lol). I hate having to hold the shield in place constantly, but oh well. Hopefully you will succeed =)
Helpful - 0
That's what I've done - what tomorrow264 suggested.  I used a nipple shield on a limited basis… I'd nurse for a bit then take the baby off, remove the shield and keep going.  My son did fine with that.
Helpful - 0
I did that too and my son was fine with it.
Helpful - 0
Thank you ladies! We have successfully fed without the shield now for almost a full day!
Helpful - 0
That's awesome! I couldn't get my daughter to nurse without the shield. The only other trick was tilting your nipple up- but sounds like you didn't need that. :)
Helpful - 0
Awesome! Happy to hear that!
Helpful - 0
Yeah!
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Breastfeeding Community