Cancer Community

lump in back of neck

I've felt this lump over the past 5 years, it's slowly grown but not painful... im a 23 yr old white female, this lump is on the back of my neck, right side, high up, near the spine and under or in the muscle. it is not a cyst or anything under the skin, it's definitely IN there and spreading,slowly, recently it's become bothersome, stiffness in neck, can't tilt my head that far to the right, and now starting to hurt my right ear, it feels swollen in there and it sounds like I have water in there/crackling stereo when I talk. It feels good when I massage it, but I can feel that it's gotten bigger, closer to spine and trying to creep up under my skull. my neck is warm to the touch. I have other weird symptoms but I don't think they are in relation to my neck. comments??? time to see a dr.?
Hi!
I am sorry to hear about your medical problems. Yes, please see a doctor. If the neck is warm and the lump has been there for five years and is now spreading then it can be due to muscle tension, neurofibroma (collection of nerve and fibrous tissue), lipoma, infected cyst or swollen lymph nodes.
Since massaging helps, it is probably knotted muscles under tension. Physiotherapy may help.  Please however, discuss with your doctor. Take care!

The medical advice given should not be considered a substitute for medical care provided by a doctor who can examine you. The advice may not be completely correct for you as the doctor cannot examine you and does not know your complete medical history. Hence this reply to your post should only be considered as a guiding line and you must consult your doctor at the earliest for your medical problem.
Here are 15 ways to help prevent lung cancer.
New cervical cancer screening guidelines change when and how women should be tested for the disease.
They got it all wrong: Why the PSA test is imperative for saving lives from prostate cancer
Everything you wanted to know about colonoscopy but were afraid to ask
A quick primer on the different ways breast cancer can be treated.
Get the facts about this disease that affects more than 240,000 men each year.