Carpal Tunnel Syndrome Community
119 Members

burning in forearm

Hi there.

I am a copywriter/illustrator and spend a lot of time making repetitive motions with my right hand. I recently began "stippling" which is a technique that results in the same motion of the hand repeated hundreds of thousands of times.

I also recently developed a burning/tingling sensation in my forearm that is made worse by typing and stippling. It  doesn't hurt much - but not being able to do my job really scares me.

If anyone could share their experiences with carpal tunnel (I don't know if this is what I am experiencing) that would be wonderful. I've heard conflicting views on whether carpal tunnel is caused by repeated motion, but I'd really appreciate any clarification or insight.

Thanks so much.
Yes it does. I think I got mine because of playing too much video games. There's nothing else I could have gotten it. I got weak and thin wrists. I visited our local PT. Now I do alot of strength exercises, with good amount of rest of course. And I feel it's getting better.
Thanks for sharing your experience. Glad to hear it's not just a myth that repetitive motion can cause problems...makes me feel like I have a solution to my problem now.
Yeah, I got mine from doing a massive amount of electronic document review -- clicking through a million documents for 12-18 hours a day.  For suggestions on what to do -- one is to look at your desk set-up.  Perhaps you could increase elevation of your chair or something.  Just google ergonomic desk set-up.  Also, getting up to readjust your body really helped me.  I set a timer and stood up and sat right back down every 15-20 minutes.  It really helped.  During that time, I would shake my hands as well to readjust.

I wasn't really into alternative medicine and yoga, but I got into both as well.  Yoga, like LadyViolet 23's suggestion on physical therapy, really helped strengthen my wrists and the rest of my body.  I worked on my posture too -- which really helped.  I also went to an acupuncturist - which really helped.  Key is to fine a good one. =)  My acupuncturist, William Kaplanidis, created his formula called Acudragon Five Elements, which is amazing!  I love the green one -- it's a much better version of ben gay.  Feels so good when I put it on, especially after a long day of work.

Most importantly, as hard as it is, try not to stress.  I know it's hard but stress makes you tense up and that tension could creep into your arms/hands.  

I hope this was helpful!

I'm actually trying to figure out how to better help those with carpal tunnel, as I haven't seen a sufficient response to the problem -- would love to chat more and see if I could help.  As for me, I'm a recovering NYC corporate lawyer who started my career with horrible CTS.  I worked through it, by using voice recognition software, among other things, but realize my experience could have been much better had I addressed the issues/symptoms earlier.

Best,
Sera

Find out how beta-blocker eye drops show promising results for acute migraine relief.
Could it be something you ate? Lack of sleep? Here are 11 migraine triggers to look out for.
Tips for preventing one of the most common types of knee injury.
Here are 10 ways to stop headaches before they start.
Tips and moves to ease backaches