Aa
A
A
A
Close
Chiari Malformation Community
5.19k Members

STILL healing from surgery

I had Chiari decompression surgery (type 1 ) on February 12, 2015. Today I am still getting the headaches I did before the surgery. Sometimes the pain is even escalated. The pain is the worse when I am at school and exerting myself. My headaches are in the front and back of my head and its terrible pressure. When I told the doctor about my headaches she said that headaches in the front of my head are  abnormal for chiari. Now I'm going to a ophthalmologist because now it is suspected to be a problem with my eyes. The headaches are becoming unbearable at school. There is no other way to describe it. I'm tired of hearing the same old answers : hang in there, the school year is almost over, you seem fine, and the most common is I don't know what you want me to say. Does anyone else here experience the same things? Also, ( to people with chiari type 1) Do you get headaches in the front of your head? If yes, what did you do about it ? ( Ibuprophen and topomax did nothing for me )
1 Responses
620923 tn?1452919248
COMMUNITY LEADER

Hi and welcome to the Chiari forum.

Your headaches should not be worse post op....they should be better....
When did you go back to school? You are just 2 months post op...and are still healing...it may be you are doing way too much too soon in your recovery....

To help, do not carry heavy books around or a purse etc....use a tinted pair of glasses to help with lighting issues, do not look down at paper on the desk or books raise them up to eye level ...bending her head/neck down can pull on still sore muscles....

You may need to cut back and rest more....
Have an Answer?
Top Neurology Answerers
620923 tn?1452919248
Allentown, PA
987762 tn?1331031553
Australia
1756321 tn?1547098925
Queensland, Australia
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Find out how beta-blocker eye drops show promising results for acute migraine relief.
In this special Missouri Medicine report, doctors examine advances in diagnosis and treatment of this devastating and costly neurodegenerative disease.
Here are 12 simple – and fun! – ways to boost your brainpower.
Discover some of the causes of dizziness and how to treat it.
Discover the common causes of headaches and how to treat headache pain.
Two of the largest studies on Alzheimer’s have yielded new clues about the disease