Chiari Malformation Community

STILL healing from surgery

I had Chiari decompression surgery (type 1 ) on February 12, 2015. Today I am still getting the headaches I did before the surgery. Sometimes the pain is even escalated. The pain is the worse when I am at school and exerting myself. My headaches are in the front and back of my head and its terrible pressure. When I told the doctor about my headaches she said that headaches in the front of my head are  abnormal for chiari. Now I'm going to a ophthalmologist because now it is suspected to be a problem with my eyes. The headaches are becoming unbearable at school. There is no other way to describe it. I'm tired of hearing the same old answers : hang in there, the school year is almost over, you seem fine, and the most common is I don't know what you want me to say. Does anyone else here experience the same things? Also, ( to people with chiari type 1) Do you get headaches in the front of your head? If yes, what did you do about it ? ( Ibuprophen and topomax did nothing for me )
COMMUNITY LEADER

Hi and welcome to the Chiari forum.

Your headaches should not be worse post op....they should be better....
When did you go back to school? You are just 2 months post op...and are still healing...it may be you are doing way too much too soon in your recovery....

To help, do not carry heavy books around or a purse etc....use a tinted pair of glasses to help with lighting issues, do not look down at paper on the desk or books raise them up to eye level ...bending her head/neck down can pull on still sore muscles....

You may need to cut back and rest more....