Aa
A
A
A
Close
Child Behavior Community
14.2k Members

Mom versus Mother

My boyfriend of two years has a seven year old son his name is Luke. Luke calls his Mom "Mother" and always refers to her as "mother". She is his primary caregiver and my boyfriend has visitations every other weekend. Luke always refers to his Dad as Daddy or Dad never "Father". Luke is a very affectionate child and always hugs his Dad and me without hesitation. He is particularly affectionate to me sometimes hugging me until he is physically removed. On several occasions we have witnessed Luke trying to avoid hugging his "mother" and never shows her any affection. At school his class made Mother's Day Cards that had a pre-written verse that said something about how he loves his mom so much. Luke refused to give the card to his "mother" because he said that "he did not love her and the card was not true".
His behavior towards his mother is very odd. Luke tells us his time at home consists of him playing video games and watching TV. His "mother" spends her time on the computer. My boyfriend has filed for primary custody because we have found out Luke's mother has delayed getting medical/dental treatment. She has had atleast five live-in boyfriends and overnight guests (of the opposite sex) in the last year and a half. I could go on ...
I would appreciate any thoughts you may have regarding a child referring to his Mom as "Mother". Could this mean there is some abuse or neglect present in the home?
0 Responses
Have an Answer?
Top Children's Health Answerers
189897 tn?1441130118
San Pedro, CA
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Fearing autism, many parents aren't vaccinating their kids. Can doctors reverse this dangerous trend?
Is a gluten-free diet right for you?
We answer your top questions about the flu vaccine.
Learn which over-the-counter medicines are safe for you and your baby
Yummy eats that will keep your child healthy and happy
Healing home remedies for common ailments