A
A
Close
Child Behavior Community
14.3k Members
482526 tn?1208452584

napping

how long should a nap be.
i've had problems with my kid staying up late and also waking up late i couldnt do much about it cause of my work, i wasnt there when he went to bed all the time and i left before he woke up, but now my work schedule has change and last night i tried to get him to sleep early but it didnt work like i expected, so today in the morning i woke him up kind of early and he was happy and all but now he fell asleep i know this is normal cause kids always heve naps, so i've herd. which brings me to my question how long should i let him sleep? its been about 30 mins now but i dont want to wake him up to soon, or to late that he wont go back to sleep at night.
any advise helps, thenks!!!!
1 Responses
603946 tn?1333941839
it varies- you will be able to tell in a week or two and I don't think there is any way around it- even at that, as the child gets older it all changes again- what age child is he?

Generally age 2- 2 hours after lunch, then to bed around 8pm- up at 7am-----but it could vary- sometimes they get a 30 minute nap and still aren't too sleepy at bedtime.

Some kiddos at age 2 don't take naps-

age 3-5 anywhere from one hour after lunch to no nap- but they should be able to sooth themselves and rest for at least 30 minutes quietly- hopefully- if not you can give them a book to look at quietly if they promise not to make any noise.

The most important part is the structured timing-

example-

8:30-9:30 outside supervised play
9:30-11:00:00 diaper check, snack, free play maybe in play pen if he is that young
11:00-12:00 story and cuddle one on one time, maybe music video sing alongs
12:00-12:30 meal and diaper check
12:45 -2:00 story and nap

No they can't read a clock but they read the consistent schedules you set before them- after they eat and hear their story, they just realize nap is next if you stay with a good routine. Sorry if you knew all that already....

***outside play (sometimes this helps them want a nap too, it wears them out but not always)

bottom line- just have to learn your own child and follow their signals sometimes

warm regards
Have an Answer?
Top Children's Health Answerers
189897 tn?1441126518
San Pedro, CA
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Fearing autism, many parents aren't vaccinating their kids. Can doctors reverse this dangerous trend?
Is a gluten-free diet right for you?
We answer your top questions about the flu vaccine.
Learn which over-the-counter medicines are safe for you and your baby
Yummy eats that will keep your child healthy and happy
Healing home remedies for common ailments