Comprehensive Dentistry Forum

Maxofacial sinus tear?

HI, I recently had my wisdom tooth taken out (upper, left) and water leaked from my mouth to my nose. My dentist then sutured me, but I now have a whistling sound that is coming from that area. Please advise.
Your situation is known as oroantral communication, which is not uncommon complacation of upper molar extraction. Optimal management is placemant of collagen plug(colla plug), or bone graft material into extraction socket, and suture of the surgical site. Post-op instructions include avoidance of straw and sneezing, if managed properly, most oroantral communications heal up uneventfully. If the condition persists after 6 weeks, you may need to see an oral surgeon to surgically repair the defect.In the mean time, if you don't receive proper management, you may go back to your dentist or oral surgeon to have a follow up exam.
Thank you very much. I'm heading back to see the dentist today as I figure my sutures have come off.
Hi, I've come back from the dentist's with bone graft material filled into the socket and she has sutured the site. I now have sand-like particles constantly in my mouth...Is it normal for the bone-material to leak after the procedure? Thanks very much for your advise...
It appears that primary closure of wound is not achieved, which results in graft material falling out of the grafted site.Ideally, bone graft material is not supposed to be exposed to oral environment. It's understandable that primary closure of upper third molar wound is difficult to achieve, unless delicate flap surgical procedure is performed. Post-op antibiotics coverage is needed to reduce the chance of contamination of graft material. Close monitoring of wound site is advised.
Thanks very much, I guess I won't opt for any more surgery then, just wait it out.
If you suffer from frequent headaches, jaw clicking and popping ear pain, you may have TMJ. Top dentist Hamidreza Nassery, DMD, has the best TMJ treatments for you.