Dental Health Forum

swollen cheek going into neck

My 14 yr old daughter started with jaw pain over a week ago.  Pain so bad she cried constantly.  Now an abcess  showed up on her second to last tooth on the gum.  We took her to the dentist who would not touch her mouth until she did a round of amoxil for 10 days.  we are on the 3rd day, and the pain has increased and the swelling of the left side of her face is deforming.  swelling is now going under her jaw and into the neck.  Is the antibotics not working?   Would it be of benifit to bring her to the Er?  She is in massive pain and can eat nothing.  She can barely open her mouth.  These two back teeth the dentist has worked on before.  any help you can give me would be greatly appreciated.    
You should take your daughter immediately to a dentist or the ER to get the abscess drained and possibly get IV antibiotics to help control the infection.  An infection into the neck region is very dangerous and potentially life threatening.
It sounds like the tooth is dead. I would go to the ER due to the swelling going in to the glands in the neck. It sounds like she has celulitus. Do not put any heat on her face, you can use ice. I hope she feels better.
If you suffer from frequent headaches, jaw clicking and popping ear pain, you may have TMJ. Top dentist Hamidreza Nassery, DMD, has the best TMJ treatments for you.