Extreme Itching all over body w/NO rash, welts or hives.

I've recently been diagnosed with Urticaria. My doctor says I fall into the 99.9% of the people who have it without any signs. My itchiness has been getting progessively worse for the past few years. I'd say almost 3 yrs now. It's to the point where I can't even engage in intercourse with my partner, go shopping or even go out in the sun. I keep hearing and reading how Urticaria, usually has signs on the skin surface but I don't, except for the really bad itchy feeling. Sometimes I question whether or not I have something else because it's really bad and it feels like I have a sudden burning rush of nails/needles stabbing my skin and I can't even move but only twitch. It's like this on a daily basis with my skin, whenever my body temperatue goes up. I feel like my body's thermostat is broken and I'm constantly overheating. I've been taking Claritin and Benadryl but that doesn't seem to help at all. My doctor also gave me a prescription medicine called Atarax, which only makes me drowsy and doesn't help the itchy feeling. Any suggestions? Btw, I've taken blood tests to see if there is anything wrong but everything came out fine. =/
Hi All,
I have had it for 6 years now and the doctors are rubbish, my hives started from a drink from a bottle of Elder flower wine won at Hampton court palace, I over heat, get hives eg wore pop socks they marked my legs and my legs near my knees swelled up so I have extra strong allergy tablets to take the hives down, they make me drowsey but work, a few years ago my top rubbed me on my arms and  had to go to hospital as my arms swelled to the point of no return. I had to have something like hydroquaterzone, antihystamine and Steroids. No one has found anything out, possibly under active Thyroid Possibly Lupus Possibly unknown, the doctors dont know and dont care! my symtoms are: over heating, hives, tired, memory loss, lack of motivation, insomnia, panic attacks, weight gain, restless leg syndrome, I cant wear anything that rubs me or it swells etc.
Anita
Hi everyone,

I had this same issue and around the same time it started I noticed an inflamed cervical lymph node.  Thinking these two things had nothing in common I went to the emergency room complaining about the itchiness that had reached a point where it was keeping me up at night.  When the doctor asked if there was anything else I mentioned my lymph node and he asked if I had been sick lately which I hadn't.  Long story short after ordering an x-ray of my chest they found a tumor in my mediastinal area and the prognosis was lymphoma.  After a CT scan verified this in more detail I met with an oncologist and was diagnosed with lymphoma.

Hope this helps someone with similar symptoms seek a correct diagnosis without delay.
Used to get itch outbreaks in the cold weather and never in the summer weather.  Noticed when this started happening, I was developing whitehead pimples on chest and back as well as face.  Once I would sweat, It would go away but sweating took a long time in the winter as it didnt occur so naturally but with like 5-10 minutes running or other activity.  Only affected my upper body.  Clogged pores seemed to be the biggest culprit possibly blocking sweat causing this itch from toxins in sweat.  I went on and used Biore pore unclogging facial scrub and Dove Gentle exfoliating body wash which cleared virtually all whiteheads leaving my skin smooth and made things a lot better.  These were the only two cleaners I have found worked for me and this.  Moisturizers seemed to help very little by providing a cooling effect on body but rarely worked.  Clogged or small pores seemed to be the key problem.
My son and I have gotten hives from a virus.  VIral Imune Stimulator from Naturopaths has helped the virus immediately.  Byt the rash and itchiness is everywhere and driving us crazy.  We have noticed that building the immune system with vitamins C and E ( We used mixed d tocopherol E) It also attacks the thymus and the aadrenal glands. We are using natural means to build these glands.  So far I have had the hives for 5 days.  This is just started to go around our town. And we went from cold to hot in no time.  Any more ideas?

itchingfamily
I started itching a couple of weeks ago. It happens in different places on my body, sometimes legs, arms, chest, back, neck, head, hands, never all at the same time. Sometimes after a shower sometimes not. I have not changed anything, medications, detergent, shampoo, soap etc.
The only thing that's different is I had my gallbladder remooved about 4 weeks ago. Dermatologist says its dry skin, how all of a sudden do I get dry skin? I am not sure but I do think Benedryl helps but it's hard to tell because if I don't do anything it can go away as fast as it came and be OK for a while. Any suggestions
all of my body itch really bad..legs..back.chest...head...and no redness or anything..i thought maybe because of the supplements i usually use.. but sometimes it goes away..

what i would do is eat a lot of oranges...watermelon...apples...fruits with a lot of fluid. and drink a lot of water and it will get better... thats the only explanation of how the itchness went away for a couple of weeks...

and i mean 2 oranges after every meal and a lotttt of water
After many years of itching problems,I finally found a CURE called Phototherapy-the use of UVB narrow band light.
Good Luck Everybody
I did not read all of the posts, so I hope no one else has already said this, but...

There are many types of urticaria and some are very rare. I personally have cold-induced urticaria (meaning I get an allergic reaction to the cold), but there is also heat-induced urticaria among many other types. Doctor's often do not diagnose these because they are so rare.

Most of these forms of urticaria will respond to anithistamines, although it can be difficult to find one that works (look for a NON-DROWSY one to take during the daytime!). Unfortunately, antihistamines won't always work. The antihistamines help me, but they don't always prevent me from having an allergic reaction when I get cold.

Best of luck
My itchiness started yesterday.  All over. Constantly.  My entire body itches like mad, but mine seems to be heat sensitive.  The "warmer" spots on my body itch more (arm pits, behind the knees, mouth, etc).  And when I took a hot shower last night OMG it was like torture.  I took a cold shower today which was much better, but I'm freezing myself in the house.  Benadryl has not helped at all.  One of the posts from last year mentioned that tea and nuts could contribute, which is interesting since I started the Atkins diet about 3 weeks ago.  I have no visible symptons except that the inside of one of my elbows does have a few bumps on it.  I dont know how quickly whatever this is spreads, but I work with the public and I waited on a customer yesterday who was wearing gloves in the middle of May.. Which in hind sight is starting to make me wonder what he was protection himself from...  I believe hormones could also be a factor. I'm a 28 y/o woman who recently stopped taking the pill for about 3 months, and restarted again 1 month ago. So obviously my hormones are out of whack.  

If anyone has found any relief please let us know.  Reading that some of you have had this for years, isn't really the best news.  I'm 2 days in and I'm going insane already.
Try Utterly Smooth cream in a jar from Wal-mart or other stores. I have these problems and this works most of the time after taking a shower.
i have been itching like mad for 3 days now no rash nothing my skin looks perfectly normal, i cant sleep cause i itch so much i have tried everything so far and cant get any peace from the itching please someone help me and give me some ideas.
My itching started about 6 months ago. No redness, or bumps or any rash. My legs and feet itch the worst, but my scalp, arms, buttocks also itch. It is the worst after I have a hot shower. After I towel dry, it's only matter of a few minutes and my skin begins to feel like it's on fire. The only thing that soothes the itching is Aveeno. It sooths, but it does not stop the itching. It's the worst at night, however is not as bad if my legs are covered.

I have other symptoms, but don't know if they are all related. For example, if I lightly scratch myself, I get welts where I scratched. The main vein in my hands and feet will swell from time to time. I also will get a tingling sensation in my left upper arm.

I have not switched soaps, detergents or anything like that. I do not wear perfumes, nor have I changed my diet. The itching gets so bad that I want to cry. I am seing my doctor tomorrow, and hopefully she will have answers.

I am a 36 year old black female that lives in Ontario, Canada.
idk letting you all know, im 20 years old never experienced and itching problem in my life. Lived most of my life in iowa, moved to florida for a few years, moved back to iowa. The itching started recently when i moved back, and has increased. Yes it is to the point to where i cant stand it anymore. Anyways, I guess i can use some of your input, maybe you can use mine. Try an epson salts bath, seems to kick the itching down a few notches.

ps. for anyone, wat parts of the world do you live, do you think it could be the water, air, or trees. idk government issue.
its just funny, i know of a dozen people in my area who have the same problem. so thats the only reason why i threw the government into the whole topic.
I am exploring possible h-pylori which can be diagnosed with a urea breath test and mast cells in stomach and duodenum which can be diagnosed with a tryptase level on blood. both can be cured. The h-pylori with antibiotics and the mast cell infiltration of gastric mucosa with disodium cromoglycate, 100 mg 4 times a day. I have the itching, biting crawling feeling too but no sign of parasites. I'm going to get tested for both the above and see what happens.
I dread suggesting this word even and not all the symptoms are exactly the same but look up Morgellen's.
My dermatologist put me on an anti-histamine Doxepin (1 time per day) and sulfamethoxazole-tmp ds tablet 2 times per day plus I take Lysine,  a natural virus fighter. Lysine (lots of it works on herpes related things like coldsores, canker sore, shingles, herpes, chicken pox, small pox tho obviously the last two are not seen much anymore (TG) but they are in the herpes virus family.
Good Luck to everyone - this is a miserable way to live.  
Well, I finally went to the doctor about the itching, cause I couldnt take it no more. She is in the process of having me referred to an allergist. In the meantime, she suggested that I take Reactine. It has helped tremendously. I get relief for a whole 2 days!! Sometimes 3 days if I really ignore the itch. I will find out what the Allergist says in September. Will keep you posted!!
I have had sever itching all over my body on and off for the past 17 years.  There is no sympton other than a severe burning itch which appears randomly. This is driving me crazy.  When I get one of these episodes it can last for weeks or months and it can be so severe that it is totally debilitating.  My doctor has decided that it is stress related.  But she only sees it when I feel that I cannot cope any longer.  I believe that it is not stress related but creates the stress.  When the itching starts the only options I have now are to almost overdose on antihestimines and try to keep the affected areas cool with ice packs  which makes it impossible to function in a normal life.  

There has to be an answer out there somewhere.  Over the years I have seen every specialists imaginable, with no success.  This is truly driving me crazy, some days I feel that I just cannot go on any longer.

my mom recently came down with itchy skin mainly concentrated in her upper body - upper back, chest, scalp.  there is no sign of a rash, hives, welts - just redness and some breakage of skin after scratching.  she is under thyroid medication due to a previously diagnosed hyperactive thyroid.  she went to an endocrinologist who took blood tests and found her thyroid levels on the low side.  she was prescribed a stronger dose.  she has been on it for 4 days.  her dr. also mentioned the itchiness could be caused by her low thyroid levels.  she also saw a dermatologist who suggested she change detergents, soaps, use fragrance-free items, etc and suggested she get an allergy test done.  also, she has been taking benadryl orally and been using topical benadryl.

i just spoke to her and she seems miserable due to the drowsiness.  i am hoping the upped dosage of her thyroid meds will do it.  

sorry if i'm not using the proper lingo for her thyroid problem.  i am just trying to get some info out to others b/c i feel i've received some helpful insight into this itch problem by this forum.

thanks for posting and i will post later with any new news.

take care.
I HAE THAT PROBLEM AND IT HAS STRESSED ME OUT FOR ALMOST FOUR YEARS. HONESTLY WHAT I'M ABOUT TO SAY IS GOING TO SOUND CRAZY BUT I WON'T YOU ALL TO KNOW! I LOST MY HUSBAND IN 2004 AND A YEAR LATER ALL OF A SUDDEN I STARTED ITCHING  AND SPITTING. WELL ME I'M THE KIND OF PERSON THAT GETS DOWN THE ITIGRITY. I DON'T GIVE UP SO I HOPE THAT IT CAN HELP AND IF YOU ALL COULD HELP PLEASE FEEL FREE TO EMAIL ME AT POLLEY_25***@**** I SHOULDN'T THING THAT ITS VOODOO BUT IT LEAVES ME NO OTHER CHOICE. AFTER I LOST MY HUSBAND HIS FAMILY STARTED PRAYING OVER BLACK CANDLES WELL LIKE I SAID B-4 I GET TO THE BOTTOM OF THINGS . WELL EVERY SINCE THOSE DAYS I HAVE BEEN ITCHING LIKE CRAZY DOING THINGS THAT I DON'T NORMALLY DO. SPITTING, FARTING, ITCHING. ECT. WHY HUMUM ITS REASONS BEHIND IT BUT I TELL YOU WHAT IF U ALL LOOK AT A TV SHOW OF THE COSBY SHOW U WILL NOTICE THEM TOUCHING THERE NOSE AND SCRATCHING THERE HEAD A LOT MORE THAN THEY USE TO.  HONESTLY ITS SOMETHING AND TO ME READING FROM THE ARTICALS THE DOCTORS DON'T EVEN KNOW WHAT IT IS . ITS UNDISCOVERED. BUT ITS SOMETHING LIKE I SAID B-4 I MIGHT SOUND CRAZY BUT TRUST ME I'M DEALING WITH A FULL DECK! I ALSO REMEMBER ONE DAY WHEN I WALKED OVER TO MY MOMS HOUSE AND HER FRIEND WAS OVER THERE. WELL I LOOKED AT HER AND SHE KINDA SCRATCHED BY HER PRIVATE SPOT WELL THE NEXT DAY I STARTED ITCHING OMG I WAS SO MAD I DIDN'T UNDERSTAND WHY. I WAS CURSIN AND ALL THAT I WAS TELLING MY MOM IF IT DIDN'T STOP IT WAS GOING TO BE A PROBLEM. WELL FINALLY I PICTCHED SUCH A FIT TIL IT STOPPED. WELL THEN I GOT IN A RELATIONSHIP WITH THIS GUY AND HE KEPT ITCHING AND ITCHING . ALL OF A SUDDEN I HAVE BEEN ITCHING. I KNOW ITS NOT A SKIN DES. I KNOW ITS NOT. ESPECIALLY WHEN THE DOCTORS DON'T EVEN KNOW. WELL B-4 THOSE TWO PEOPLE MY X BOYFRIEND MOTHER SCRATCHED OVER HER EYE AND EVERY SINCE THEN I BEEN DOING THAT SO YOU TELL ME! ITS MORE TO THE STORY . THE MESSED UP THING IS THAT THE GUY THAT MOTHER SCRATCHED OVER HER EYE  SON HAD TOLD ME LOTS OF STUFF ABOUT HE WAS GOING TO FIX ME AND ALL THAT MENTAL BS. WELL I GUESS IT WAS HIS FIX . YES I WOULD NOT LIKE TO ITCH BUT OH WELL ! WELL NOW HE'S DOING 17 YEARS AND IF HES' THE REASON FOR ME GOING THROU THIS I HOPE THEY GIVE HIM 17 MORE .  
and another thing i remember one of my cousins saying scratch the itch it helps omg i was trying to ignore it but every sice that day i have been itching i went to the doctor and and i was like something has to be done. well another cousin we was talking and i was like dang i wish the itches stop she say i hope not so honestly people its something that some people knows that we don't its not fair to us. its very mind bothering i mean hnestly who do they think wants to itch like this. yall it almost                       killed me i had stopped eating i had got to the point where i couldn't remember things . its so much i think we need a darn voodoo doctor. and also i read the lady that sipped on the wine thats how mines started my sister n law had a apple wine cooler u didn't know how bad she disliked me well i got a sip cause i thought we was better than that well like a few days later it was a certain spot on my neck that was just itching and when i looked at it it was a little rash well i went back to forthood and all of a sudden i was wanting to leave. after that my life have been such a living hummmmmm u get what i'm saying . i have noticed so many different changes but u know what peoples b-4 i lost my husband i never had a problem maybe it was the 250,000 that i received and it was something that they wanted i don't know but heck it's gone now. so dang stop the itch. i hate that you all had to experience this i use to think that it was my fault for many years but now i know its not especially after i read the lady thats been itching for 20 years comment. yall we need to all get to gether and protest. better yet send it to the president u know remeber back when it started and who was around u and all that well once again i'm not crazy. and if i'm depressed about anything its the dang itches thats making me like that . and another thing i haven't had a happy day since the day i started itching. haven't had good luck either ! so yea they got me yall and seems like someone got yall to! god honest truth i'm not good at lieing especially about nothing like this. ms.polley is with u all maybe we can all come to some kind of agreement or to the bottom of this itching