Dermatology Forum

skin peeling of in layers on hands

a couple days ago, my 3 year old son  had skin peeling on his thumb.  It looked as if a blister had popped and now the skin wa coming off.  Unfortunately he had no blister.  This is affecting each finger on both hands.  The skin begins to peel around the nail and then the top of the finger and half way down its base.  Why is this happening all of a sudden?  Soon as one finger peels, another one begins and it is repeated. I have read briefly about keratolysis exfoliativa is this the same thing?
Eredish:

Keratolysis exfoliative refers to mild peeling of the palms.  In a 3-year old, I think finger-sucking is much more likely.  I can't think of any significant diseases which would present this way.

I'd keep the area moist and just wait it out.

Best.

Dr. R
My 15 yr old daughter's fingers do this.  They will peel all the way down.  They get very raw and sore.  Her pediatrician called it numular excema, and prescribed some kind of cream that has cortisone in it for whenever it acts up.  He said it was likely that this condition would come and go indefinately.
Dee
My 10 yr old son peels this same way. Starts at fingertips and goes down palms at times. We've eleminated latex & contact rash
options. Dr. says non-specific dermatitis but meds (hydrocort &
cortisteroid) haven't stopped it. It is periodic, ususally starts with "prune finger" apperance-like prolonged water exposure even though he wasn't in water. Sensitive when peeling.
Dad is a nurse, so we keep record of episodes. Course runs 7-10 days!
I have been dealing with a simular problem for the last 4 years.  My dermatologists says he thinks I have hand exzema.  He did a scrapping, and declare that it wasn't a fungal problem.  Basically, My fingers (Especially my thumbs) become hard & calussed looking, feel dead and look pale, then begin to "blow out" & peel in thick layers.  They become very sensitive & raw as the skin peels.  Then a thin layer of reddish new skin forms. Sometimes they peel again before healing.  They usually completely heel after 2-3 weeks and then the process begins all over again. This problem happens on both hands and seems to be semmetrical between the two hands.  I have tried several cortizone creams including Diprolene AF .05%.  No relief.  Could this be something else?  I never had this problem before 4 years ago.  I am 31 years old.  Do you have any ideas on what is happening?
i'm am a 20 year old girl, the skin on my hands and feet has been peeilng off ever since i was a little kid. i want to know if there's a permanent cure availble for this disease. i'm from india.
Please help me!
I have had this problem with peeling hands (exfoliating) for a few years now.  I heard about Aphanizomenon floz-aquae it is suppose to somehow stop the reoccurences.
I have the same problem as all of you.  The slightest touch of just paper, my fingers will dry, turn white and eventually, crack and peel. It's really bothersome because it looks so unattractive and it makes working and doing anything that much harder when it peels so much, sometimes it'll bleed. It's a constant thing and I've tried all kinds of creams too.  It moves onto the bottom of my feet also, but mostly, it's my left foot and my right hand, don't figure.  I always fear it's a symptom of diabetes and not just eczema.  It helps slightly when after a shower, I apply vaseline to both areas and then put some gloves on, I even sleep with them on.  This just started happening to me a few years ago.  Anyone that has a solution, please share!
I also have this problem.  It feels as if I dunked my fingertips in wax and then within hours they develop a sort of dry blister.  There is no pain involved except for the new exposed skin being tender.  It mostly involves the first two segments of my fingers and thumbs.  It is really gross.  I would be great if someone could suggest what I might use to get rid of it.  Ordinary creams do not help (in fact I think they made it worse.)  I recently went to work in a sewing mill and am beginning to wonder if it isn't some type of allergic reaction to something the fabric is treated with.  I read at another site that SBR lipocream would help protect hands from chemicals.  I am going to try it. Perhaps this may help some of you too.
THe skin is peeling around my finger tips, palms and now my toes and feet in the same strange manner.  It peels right off, no pain, so long as you don't pull it too far.  I am 45 yrs.old,in generally good health and I eat good. I am currently under a great deal of stress and believe it is the cause.  Stress can cause the body to not only loose valuable vitamins and nutrients, it can prevent the body from absorbing them correctly.  Likewise, if you aren't under stress, like the 3yr old, it's probably a vitamin deficiency. Everyone needs to appropriately supplement their diets with vitamins and minerals.  I am going to take extra supplements of vitamin A and B complex as well as immune building herbs to get back on track.  Signs like this is the bodies way of saying, HEY!, something is wrong, take better care of me!!!
I have no answers, but just started having the very same problem.  I did a search to find an answer and came across this page.  

This is very stange, all of my fingers started drying up and peeling about 8 months ago.  It works in stages, both thumbs will become hard and dead in the center, then peel, then heal.  Then a few weeks later a finger will start.  

It always happens to the same fingers at the same time on both hands.... Strange.  I don't have any answers why.  I thought I put my hand on a bad chemical.

Learn to identify and prevent bites from summer’s most common pests.
Doctors argue for legislation to curb this dangerous teen trend in the latest Missouri Medicine report.
10 ways to keep your skin healthy all winter long
How to get rid of lumpy fat on your arms, hips, thighs and bottom
Diet “do’s” and “don’ts” for healthy, radiant skin.
Images of rashes caused by common skin conditions