Aa
A
A
A
Close
Diabetes - Type 2 Community
3.34k Members

Blood Sugar lowered significantly after I quit smoking

I have been pre-diabetic for 12 years (Metphormin 1000 per day for 6 years), high blood pressure which has always been under control, cholesterol normal, fatty liver, but I quit drinking 12 years ago and liver enzymes are back to normal, I've also lost 35 pounds in the those 12 years. About a year ago I picked up a cigarette and starting smoking again. I only smoke about 1 cigarette a day and out of boredom more than the craving. I quit 2 weeks ago and at that time my BS was averaging 230 per day. My doctor knows this and I have an appointment already scheduled but in the last 2 weeks my average has gone down to 160. I know all I need to do at this point is decrease carbs even further to bring it back to normal levels. The 160 is my first reading after I wake up so it is naturally higher anyway. I didn't think quitting smoking has this effect on BS? Can someone explain it for me?
1 Responses
5536886 tn?1455830946
There isn't any direct link to not smoking and lower blood sugar results, that I am aware of.  In fact, most of the time, they believe that if you quit- you likely will develop type 2 because you are more likely to gain weight.

That said, you have made a lot of changes for your health- and my guess is, you are seeing the results from a combination of them.  Keep working on lower those blood sugar numbers- you have made a lot of progress!

Your fasting sugars can also be brought down by watching your carbs- a good 'trick' is to make sure you have a really good 'protein' snack before you head to bed- that should help your fasting sugars stabilize a bit.  
Have an Answer?
Top Diabetes Answerers
231441 tn?1333896366
Manila, Philippines
Learn About Top Answerers
Popular Resources
Here are three summertime recipes that will satisfy your hunger without wreaking havoc on your blood sugar.
If you have prediabetes, type 2 diabetes isn’t inevitable. Find out how you can stop diabetes before it starts.
Diabetes-friendly recipes and tips for your game day party.
Are there grounds to recommend coffee consumption? Recent studies perk interest.
Simple ways to keep your blood sugar in check.
8 blood sugar-safe eats.