Digestive Disorders / Gastroenterology Forum

Gallbladder removal?

I am 19 yr old female.  I am relatively healthy. Since October of 2002, I have been having RUQ pain, nausea, vomiting, and lots of weight loss.  I have changed my diet.  In Jan. of 2003 I saw my PCP. He ordered an u/s of gallbladder. The results were no stones.  He sent me to a GI and I had a HIDA and a CT of abdomen and pelvis.  The CT came back normal.  The HIDA was normal until the injection of CCK.  My ejection fraction is 0%.  My question is I am having my gb removed this week, but is it absolutely necessary?  I know my gb isn't not functioning, but how can this be without stones?  Also, what happens after the lap chole?  I appreciate your info.  

Thanks,
Muneca729
Hello - thanks for asking your question.

A biliary ejection fraction of lower than 35% is considered abnormal.  In some cases, this may be associated with Sphincter of Oddi dysfunction (SOD).  In any case, a low biliary ejection fraction predisposes you for gallstone formation in the future.  The decision for a cholecystectomy should be made in conjuction with your personal gastroenterologist and surgeon.

A certain amount of postoperative pain occurs after a lap chole. Nausea and vomiting is not uncommon. Once liquids or a diet is tolerated, patients leave the hospital the same day or day after the laparoscopic gallbladder surgery. Activity is dependent on how the patient feels. Walking is encouraged. Patients can remove the dressings and shower the day after the operation.
Patients will probably be able to get back to normal activities within a week's time, including driving, walking up stairs, light lifting and work. In general, recovery should be progressive, once the patient is at home.

The onset of fever, yellow skin or eyes, worsening abdominal pain, distention, persistent nausea or vomiting, or drainage from the incision are indications that a complication may have occurred. Your surgeon should be contacted in these instances.
You should make an appointment with your surgeon within 2 weeks following your operation, even if your post-operative course has been uneventful.

I stress that this answer is not intended as and does not substitute for medical advice - please see your personal physician for further evaluation of your individual case.

Thanks,
Kevin, M.D.

Links:
Laparoscopic Cholecystectomy
http://www.gicare.com/pated/epdlv01.htm

Patient Information - Laparoscopic Cholecystectomy
http://www.health.qld.gov.au/informedconsent/PatientInformationSheets/laparoscopic_cholecystectomy.pdf
Sounds like you need to get it out. Mine was functioning at 33.4% but they still felt that it needed to come out. Just be warned that after the surgery, you cannot go out to Wendys or McD as some people claim. They body needs time to adjust. I had mine out on the 24th January, and I am still on a pre-gallbladder surgery diet! I can only tolerate small amounts of bland food (no seasoning, no spices), and nothing fried. I have some reflux from the bile that is still bothering me. But I do feel better than I did two weeks ago.... It takes time, lots of it. You can have serious complications if you leave a gallbladder in when its clearly not functioning (even without stones). Good luck!
my daughter is also 19, had no stones in her GB, had URQ pain and nausea. Her HIDA ejection was 8%.  she had her GB removed Dec 27, 2002. It has been 7 weeks & she feels SO much better. Everyone recooperates at different rates..she did eat a Wendy's burger 10 days after surgery. She is in college and doesn't have a good schedule for eating, so sometimes she waits too long to eat & then things don't settle well even yet...but you are lucky that the Dr's even did a HIDA scan...my daughter hurt for a year and a half....& we had to keep bugging them to keep looking.

Her surgeon gave her only a 60% chance of the surgery taking away the pain because they are not sure why the GB ceased functioning. So...it may not take care of things, but from what i understand, you GB will not start working again. Good luck...keep us posted..
I was wondering what your symptoms where before you had your gallbladder removed, are you still taking medication?

My symptoms were classic gallbladder symptoms: URQ, radiating to the back and shoulder blades, some nausea but no vomitting. I think that since I always went to a strict no fat diet when I got an attack, this helped. I had ultrasounds done and there were no stones, no thickening of the walls. Hidascan five years ago ejection was 55%, so I didn't have surgery then. Last October the HIDA scan ejection was 33.4%, and my gastrointerologist felt 100% sure that it was my gallbladder. I also have ulcerative colitis so it was hard to figure out what was affecting my system.

Tomorrow will be three weeks since the surgery, and in the last week I started to feel better, but not quite myself. I am taking Reglan and that seems to help. However, just last night I had two slices of whole wheat toast (no butter), and 97% fat free ham (turkey), and spent the entire night tossing and turning with indigestion and some burning. Although I took a Reglan before dinner, and another one before bed! So who knows what's going on.

Bottom line: if you have symptoms of gallbladder disease, get it checked out thoroughly and make sure everything else is functioning before removing the g/b. Or you might continue suffering and feel very helpless after going through surgery etc.

Learn which OTC medications can help relieve your digestive troubles.
Is a gluten-free diet right for you?
Discover common causes of and remedies for heartburn.
This common yet mysterious bowel condition plagues millions of Americans
Don't get burned again. Banish nighttime heartburn with these quick tips
Get answers to your top questions about this pervasive digestive problem