Digestive Disorders / Gastroenterology Forum

Gas/Bloat Syndrome

Hello I was diagnosed with gas/bloat syndrome s/p nissen Fundoplication two years ago. My abdomen distention was comparable to a ninth month pregnancy, Doctors were amazed. September 29th I had the surgery taken down. Since the take down my symptoms are less severe and less frequent. I tend to distend to a sixth month size now and it happens every week and a half to two instead of daily. I also have been told I have colonic inertia to chronic pseudo-obstruction. I take 3-4 ducolax and 17gr. of miralax nightly. I have a movement daily but after a week and a half I distend. On xray the large and small bowel has some stool and gas throughout but basically unremarkable while I am extremely distended. I take cytotec 200mcg four tabs at hs when this happens along with my regular meds to get releif. It seems as if I have to have diarrhea daily be very cleaned out in order to avoid this bloating. My Doctor wants me to cut back on the laxatives and stopped the cytotec a month or so ago. I only take it now when I need relief from the distention. I do distend somewhat nightly, but tollerable. When I distend very large I have pressure in the rectum and low back pain and even breathing tends to be slightly labored. My meds are also propulsid 20mg four times a day, prilosec 20mg twice a day. I do have reflux back with mainly throat symptoms since the Nissen take down. Have you ever heard of Gas/ bloat syndrome? Can diet help? If so what kind. I need help . My doctor says there are no answers for this. It is rare and not much treatment. Is there any information on this or support groups for this. I really want information on what I can try to help me. Please help with any insight on this you can and any direction you can give me. Thankyou ever so much
Jane
Dear Jane,
After a fundoplication, individuakls are unable to belch.  Accu,ulation on gas in th estomach or small intestine can cause the gas bloat syndrome that you describe.  The offending gas may come from digested food although usually it is the result of swallowed air.  the air can come from outh breathing or talking when eating.

The take down of the fundoplication should have relieved your symptoms.  The propulsid should also be helpful.  Given th epersistence of symptoms, one must wonder about altered gastric motility even with the [rokinetic therapy.  A gastric emptying study is warranted.

With regard to diet avoid foods associated with gas e.g. beans, cabbage, milk if you are lactose intolerant.  You  may want to ask your doctor about the use of antigas medications e.g. simethicone or charcoal in an attempt to improve your symptoms.

Best of luck
I HAVE BEEN HAVING THE SAME PROBLEM. I GET EXTREMELY BLOATED AFTER EVERY MEAL. I AM ONLY 34 YEARS OLD AND NOT OVERWEIGHT AT ALL. I LOOK 6 MONTHS PREGNANT! MY DOCTOR RAN NUMEROUS BLOOD TESTS AND SAID NOTHING IS WRONG WITH ME.
My 7 year old daughter has a swollen stomach. It is swollen just below the lungs, it looks like the bottom of her rib cage is being pushed out. She feels no pain upon palpitation but she's complained of a stomach ache off and on for the last few months usually at bedtime. She's had mild nausea the last few days. When she went to the doctor a couple of days ago she said nothing hurt when he pressed on her stomach but she said tonight that it does feel uncomfortable when you press on her stomach just below the sternum.
The doctor has her off of milk products to see if she is lactose intolerant. She doesn't have any symptoms like diarrhea or gas.
What could cause her stomach to appear so bloated?
Any ideas? Help.
Help. Help. Help.

***@****
I look about 7 months pregnant.  I gained 45 lbs since last march.  Although I have Hepatitis C, doctor says its unrelated. I'm also on medications that are known to cause weight gain. My doctors say the meds are not responsible for it. I get especially bloated after I eat. I have reflux problems when I go to bed. Dieting and exercise don't help - I just keep gaining weight. Do I have Gas/Bloat syndrome?
Dear Jane,

I felt compelled to write to, if anything, let you know that there is someone else out here suffering something similiar.  I am 29 and have been diagnosed years ago with IBS. Now I've been diagnosed with chronic constipation.  I bloat to about a 5 months pregancy size.  Though I eat high fiber daily and drink about 1/2 a gallon of water (at least) a day, I still have trouble passing stools.  My colon seems to stop passing mid-stream.  I walk around bloated and uncomfortable.  My colon spasms, which causes pain.  My blood pressure goes up during one of these episodes - from 120/80 to 130/90 or slightly higher.  I feel weakened and sometimes breathless.  It's a vicious cycle.  My doctor told me to refrain from laxatives, but prescribed Lactulose syrup, which helps.  You might try this syrup.  Good luck.
I HAVE BEEN SUFFERING WITH FEELING FULL AND BLOATED AFTER EATING SMALL AMOUNTS OF FOOD. THIS HAS BEEN GOING ON FOR 3-4 YEARS. I HAVE BEEN ON PROPULSID PRILOSEC, AND PREVACID WITHOUT RELIEF. I CANNOT EAT ANY MEAT, I CAN GO FOR 15 DAYS, VOMITING UP EVERYTHING I EAT, THEN LIKE THIS TIME, 10 DAYS WITH NO PROBLEM, AND THEN, LIKE TONIGHT (IT IS 1.00 A.M.) I HAVE TO GET OUT OF BED AND INDUCE VOMITING BECAUSE I CANNOT SLEEP. WHEN I DO VOMIT, IT IS JUST YELLOW LIQUID, BITTER AND BURNING.TODAY I HAVE A PAIN IN MY RIGHTSHOULDER BLADE LIKE SOMEONE IS STABBING ME IN THE BACK, WHICH IS NOT RELIEVED BY ANY PAIN PILLS,BUT THE HEATING PAD HELPS. I AM 51 YRS OLD, 5FT 7IN AND 158LBS. LAST WEEK I HAD A 5 HR GLUCOSE TOLERANCE TEST(BECAUSE I WAS WEAK) HA HA WOULDN'T  ANYONE BE WEAK AFTER VOMITING FOR 10 DAYS STRAIGHT? ALSO, MY LIVER ENZYMES AND ELECTROLYTES, IRON AND SUGAR WERE ALL NORMAL. HELP!! MY HUSBAND IS CONVINCED I AM BULEMIC, AND MY COWORKERS THINK I AM NUTS!!
Learn which OTC medications can help relieve your digestive troubles.
Is a gluten-free diet right for you?
Discover common causes of and remedies for heartburn.
This common yet mysterious bowel condition plagues millions of Americans
Don't get burned again. Banish nighttime heartburn with these quick tips
Get answers to your top questions about this pervasive digestive problem