Down Syndrome Community
392 Members

Child with Down syndrome and behavior issues

My 7 year old son has Down syndrome.  He is a joy to be with.  He does have impulsive behavior.  His behavior isn't always impulsive, but when he is, he is uncontrollable.  Has anyone had any success in diet or natural medicines to help with impulsive behavior?  An MD prescribed risperdal for him, but we don't feel comfortable giving an antipsychotic med to a 7 yr. old.
Thank you for your suggestion.  He is in a school program, he's in a regular ed class with co-taught reading and pulled out for math.  He's very bright and very social.  We've had him evaluated for Autism and ADHD and neither was diagnosed or suggested.  A psychiatrist (who charged us an arm and a leg) met him for two hours and said he by no means has autism, but he has some autistic tendencies, ie the impulsive behavior.  She wrote out the prescription for risperdal and said she'd put together a behavioural plan for him, in conjuction with his teachers.  I haven't seen the results of the eval for the behaviour plan, but after two months of meds, I just felt like it wasn't right.  I want to try something natural.  I don't want to mask symptoms, I want to deal with them.  I'll check out nativeremedies.com.  Thank you so much.
Hi Kathy, I have a son who has Down Syndrome he is 10 , 11 on Nov 28. He is now in 4th grade. He had some problem behaviors last year , such as throwing himself on the floor and refusing to get up if he was going somewhere he didn't want to go. I have found several thing that may have contributed to his acting out. 1. He needs quite a bit of phsyical exercise. It helped. 2. He was pulled out for 2 years of K into a "resource room" which had some severe children that were often crying or screaming and needless to saw it about drove him crazy. I put my foot down and said he would be home schooled before he would enter that room another year. He learned about nothing there, except he did have alot of compasion for the others and prayed for them nightly and still does.He doesnt take any "drugs per say" but is on Nutrivene-D Daily supplement vitimans made especially for DS . He has taken these since 6 mos and has been ill about 7 times in his life. Very little compared to "normal"kids I care for. Does he like swimming? Playing with water really sooths my son. Loves to "help". put away dishes dust, Talk to other moms .  I have many special needs children I care for . But little "D" is mine and the best thing that has ever happened in my life.
Sounds like you very much have all your ducks in a row.  Had to laugh at your description of the some of the behaviors presented by your son, reminded me, of one my son decided to "act out" there was a child in one of the lower grades that had seizures and my son decided he would copy that , he would fall to the floor and copy the shakeing and the whole thing, I would get called to the school to pick him up.  I finally got them convinced that  he was just copying the boys action.  My son is now 37 and is quite a help to me, works every day from 9 to 3, he is a very independent person. Any child can be a challenge in those early years, stick it out and you will find the charming person they develope into.
Yea I hear ya. He really copys the treak sound but still remembers to pray for the person every night. But It is important that we make sure our children have a environment that provides the learning needs. Such as nobody screaming or crying for long periods without the loud person having a aide to work elsewhere. I know my son in his hysterical laughing stage surly disturbed others, but would have benfited from a run around the playground  a few times. He loves to run and is calmed by hiking and running  I know he will be great. I went to the last DS convention in my  area. I didnt meet anyone with DS I wouldnt want around.
my friends down syndrome son (who is 23yrs) has recently begun hitting and spitting at people. usually her son is so peaceful and never violent.  are there any suggestions?????  she is at her wits end.
There has to be a reason, try to find out what it is that is bothering him.  Something new added to his schedule?  Get those involved to keep track of when it happens and what happened just before, see if there is a pattern.  I he in a day work program, if so, get his supervisor to help. it takes time to find out behaviors that start up, but it is worth it in the long run, because these types of behaviors can be retrained and avoided.  Good Luck
An interview with the co-discoverer of one of the biggest breakthroughs in cancer research