Click when swallowing

I was wondering if someone could help me.  For a few weeks now I have this click in my throat when I swallow.  Not when I am drinking water or eating, but just during normal swallowing.  It doesn't click when my head is down or up, but it clicks when I am looking straight.  If I put my fingers just above adams apple I can feel a click.

Please help me to identify what it could be.

Thank you,
B
I'm 32 and was diagnosed with MS 7 years ago, although I've had symptoms for 13 years. MS is what I consider a big coverup for people to dish out tons of money for research and never find that cure for something that they don't know what causes it. I acquired the lovely throat click in September 2008. I am a smoker or was, I quit and it's only been a week. I had a horrible sore throat for a couple of months after beginning smoking the new and improved FSC cigarrettes that have some type of vinyl in them. The material safety data sheets on this new additive are horrific. It's used in making househould items, here let me smoke my coffee pot! I've tried to quit several times and finally success! Let me stop rambling and get to the point...

The clicking has taken on ear pain and I've also had chest pain and my face is kind of puffy with circles around my eyes. I have over 100 symptoms with MS, but I can say the clicking is what gets under my skin the most in addition to my mouth being extremely dry. I live in the wonderful area of south Jersey so I dare not ask for any pain med or muscle relaxer or I get labeled as a drug addict. So every morning I put my work boots on and try to overlook all this while my helpless doctors perform in a circle jerk and point at each other. The most valuable answers are those of my own that none of my doctors answered for me.

For the globulus sufferers, ask your doctor to prescribe approx. 10 valium, if you take these and it goes away it's the globulus problem that worsens with stress.

Thyroid tests leave about 80% of people undiagnosed. I had low t3 counts and 2 doctors said it was fine because the t4 count was normal and the only one they worry about is the ratio.

Eosinophilic esophagitis is when eosinophils cause an allergic type reaction that can become chronic. Yeast and food allergies/sensitivities can wreak havoc on our bodies and several people have these and don't know it. I was told by my doc there is no test for these, but I know there is they just don't want me to uncover the truth. I went on a gluten free diet and got skinny and a lot of symptoms dissappeared. I slipped back off it and felt like I was dying again. Now I'm on a yeast free gluten free diet and feel like I'm 15 again. I also had a high eosinophil count but that was shrugged off.

This past summer I had an MRI of cervical spine and part of my brain stem was also shown. I was told I had several lesions on my brain stem from the MS, I'm really surpised I'm still walking. Thank God! When I went for an MRI of my whole head after that, there were 2 lesions that appeared on a 2006 MRI, but the doc said they appeared to be healing, so it was just the ones on my brain stem he was concerned about. I believe it was the gluten free diet that started clearing them because.....2 visits before the clearing of the two lesions on the lobe of the brain my neuro laughed when I made a comment about the MRI in 2007. I said they didn't clear up and he laughed and said what you think they are gonna leave they don't go away. Well they began leaving after that diet and he wasn't laughing anymore especially when I said I thought you said they weren't going away? Oh geez it takes so long for me to get to the point lol! A visit in the ER over the past summer I asked the doc about the clicking and he said it is possible that lesions on the brain stem could be causing it. Nothing ever shows up it's like a waste of money. Word of advice to those with decent doctors if nothing else shows up get an MRI of the brain stem.  

Nodules on the thyroid can also cause clicking in the throat.

I'm going to ask about that hyoid bone thing too. I've had several doctors laugh at me and even a couple ask me what I wanted them to do for me. I wish I lived in an area with real doctors, They aren't all bad, but the majority are.

I've been tested for Lyme 3 times...nothing.

When I take digestive enzymes this does make the click a little quieter but doesn't take it away.
Well i've had this clicking for about 8 months its just above my adams apple you can say its on the larynx everytime i swollow it clicks.

Now EVER SINCE THIS HAD COME i kept getting throat infections along with tonsillitus

Seen about 4 ENT's which said it could be my tonsils which is causing the clicking because they were inflamed so we dicided to get them taken out.

I got them taken out november 19th 2009 it is now 8th of febuary 2010 i still have this clicking.

I removed the tonsils and i keep getting sore throats still along with gum infections and sometimes when i breath in my throat tickles and causes me to cought i have been to my GP andshe has refered me to another ENT 4 the 5th time.

DOES ANYONE KNOW WHAT THIS IS I AM ONLY 18 YEARS OLD (MALE)
I am not stressed i love my life but this is ruining it seriously ive always got a sore throat i get it atleast 3 times a month alpng with gum infections just by my whisdom tooth somedays it will go then come back in the EXACT same place

Im scared incase they have to remove my larnx or i have some sort of throat cancer now i use to smoke i started when i was AGE 14 (wish i didnt) then i stopped at age 18 due to this clicking and pain.

Please give me adivce any1 thankyou for your time wish you all the best.
x
: Everyone

x
And thankyou so much silvercat for taking time to write that for mr god bless you.

Yes if you could send me the files you said you wuld that would be great ive been refered to see another ENT this time i have to tell him exactly whats going on its just im worried because ever since i got this i started getting throat infections tonsilitus now that i have removed the tonsils these infection are still happening some times i even get little blisters in the inside of my mouth along with gum infections and none of these symtoms occured when this clicking wasnt her its like ever since the clicking started everything did.
I noticed a pain in my throat last night while singing. I was only doing it unconsciously so I didn't worry until it became completely unbearable. At this point I stopped singing completely and even stopped speaking for the rest of the night.

I woke up this morning to find that every time I swallow there's a clicking above my Adam's Apple. It isn't there when I turn my head left, or right. If I look up I can't really swallow at all and looking down the clicking is replaced with a sharp pain in the same area as the clicking used to be =/ I'm at a complete loss, I'm only 16 and Singing is my passion, and I'm in a band as well so I can't let this go unnoticed. I'm based in the UK, does anyone know where I can get help around London? =/
I had a friend that said when she swallowed it made a clicking sound, especially when she was laying down in bed and she felt like she couldn't breathe.  It turned out to be her thyroid, it was getting bigger and they removed it.

You are reading content posted in the Ear, Nose & Throat Community

Think a loved one may be experiencing hearing loss? Here are five warning signs to watch for.
Discover the common causes of and treatments for a sore throat.
Learn about what actually causes your temperature to spike.
Find out which foods you should watch out for.
Family medicine doctor Enoch Choi, MD helps differentiate between the common cold and more threatening (bacterial) infections
Dr. Steven Park reveals 5 reasons why breathing through your nose could change your life