Emphysema Community
83 Members

HELP!!!

I have a friend that’s been in the hospital for three weeks the doctors can’t seem to figure out what is wrong. They mention that it might be subcutaneous emphysema. Someone help!! He have swelling difficulty breathing. Air that is leaking from somewhere partial lung collapse etc. seems like doctors have done everything and still no answer.
Hello and welcome to MedHelp's forums. Thank you for your question, we appreciate it. We are very sorry to hear about your friend. Has he had any recent procedures? This most commonly happens after that type of thing.  Did your friend have COPD prior to this situation?  Typically subcutaneous emphysema is self limiting, however, if severe, should likely be treated.  I am not sure from what you write the extent of your friend's situation.   Basically it means air is trapped in the skin.  Again, this usually typically is self limiting and doesn't require treatment and happens after a procedure has been undergone by the patient.  A collapsed lung can be serious and this I would hope was addressed.  Can you give us an update on your friend?  
https://reference.medscape.com/medline/abstract/6958317
Subcutaneous emphysema is usually visible and you can see a smooth bump on the skin.
In this unique and fascinating report from Missouri Medicine, world-renowned expert Dr. Raymond Moody examines what really happens when we almost die.
Think a loved one may be experiencing hearing loss? Here are five warning signs to watch for.
When it comes to your health, timing is everything
We’ve got a crash course on metabolism basics.
Learn what you can do to avoid ski injury and other common winter sports injury.
Here are the pros and cons of the top fad diets and weight loss plans of the year.