Eye Care Forum

Lasik eye surgery: what to look for

Posted By Megan on March 11, 1999 at 06:26:59:

I am thinking about getting Lasik laser-eye-surgery. I am told that I am a perfect candidate for this type of surgery being of moderate short-sightedness with some but not a lot of astigmatism. In order for me to make a decision I need information and much of it seems to be too technical or belongs to doctors promoting this type of surgery.
I would like to know:
1. What are the percentage risks of having worse eye-sight after wards than before, % of complications, % of regression, % of people not being able to wear contact-lenses again if the operation is not successful and % of any other side effects.
2. Is this method now approved by the FDA
3. What reservations would a conservative opthelmologist have about the procedure
4. What is the best equipment/laser to make sure the doctor has
5. What specific questions should I ask the doctor about regarding his experience in order to make sure I have the best surgeon possible.eg: should doctors be certified etc
6. How many pre-surgery visits should I make to the doctor and how thoroughly should he be checking and measuring my eyes
7. I understand the flap should be of a certain width and if its too thin the flap should closed and left for 4 months before the surgery is done again otherwise the patient could get serious astigmatism. How thick should the flap be?
any other information that you think is important for a patient to take into account in order to make an informed the decision
Thank-you for your assistance.
Regards
Megan
Find out how beta-blocker eye drops show promising results for acute migraine relief.
Eye whitening, iris color change, and eyeball "bling." Eye expert Dr. John Hagan warns of the dangers from these unnecessary surgeries.
Eye expert John Hagan, MD, FACS, FAAO discusses factors to consider and discuss with your eye care team before embarking on cataract surgery.
Is treating glaucoma with marijuana all hype, or can hemp actually help?
Protect against the leading cause of blindness in older adults
Got dry eyes? Eye drops aren't the only option! Ophthalmologist John C. Hagan III, MD explains other possible treatments.