Eye Care Forum

Monocular Diplopia

Over the last year I seem to have developed monocular diplopia in my right eye (always there, just more noticeable at times.) My left eye is absolutely fine. The diplopia is vertical. Apart from the ghost image the actual vision seems quite clear. The effect is very noticeable with LEDs and highly contrasted images. I've done the pinhole test which seems to correct the problem. I have very mild myopia in my right eye as well. When I do wear my glasses (I never normally wear them) it also seems to correct the diplopia. I'm 30 and male.

Any idea on where the problem could be? My latest reading suggests some kind of a refractive error, but I don't really understand the finer details.
It is likely due to either a cataract, a corneal problem like map dot dystrophy, or typical astigmatism.  An ophthalmologist should be able to figure it out without difficulty.
Find out how beta-blocker eye drops show promising results for acute migraine relief.
Eye whitening, iris color change, and eyeball "bling." Eye expert Dr. John Hagan warns of the dangers from these unnecessary surgeries.
Eye expert John Hagan, MD, FACS, FAAO discusses factors to consider and discuss with your eye care team before embarking on cataract surgery.
Is treating glaucoma with marijuana all hype, or can hemp actually help?
Protect against the leading cause of blindness in older adults
Got dry eyes? Eye drops aren't the only option! Ophthalmologist John C. Hagan III, MD explains other possible treatments.