This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Avatar universal

Optometrist vs Opthamologist

I didnt realize (stupidly of course) that my eye dr was an optometrist vs
an opthamologist.  I have been seeing her for four years and she says
I am a glaucoma suspect.  She does field vision tests, cornea thickness
tests, OCT and pressure checks.  Is this enough or should I look for
an opthamologist.  The reason I am a glaucoma suspect is bec my optic
nerves are enlarged even though all my other tests are good.

Thank you,
Discussion is closed
1 Answers
Page 1 of 1
1573381 tn?1296151159
You should ideally see a glaucoma specialist (ophthalmologist who specializes in the care of glaucoma).  They could tell you if you are a high suspect, low suspect, or if you may have glaucoma already.  Then, you could see a regular ophthalmologist regularly and go back to the specialist once in a while to make sure nothing has changed.  If you can't find one near you, you could just see a regular ophthalmologist instead but make sure they perform gonioscopy on your eyes and they have plenty of experience in treating glaucoma.

Discussion is closed
This Forum's Experts
233488 tn?1310696703
Discover Vision Centers of Kansas City
Kansas City, MO