Aa
A
A
A
Close
Eye Care Forum
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.

Unequal pupil?

I've noticed when I'm fatigued or have not worn my glasses (farsighted) at night, my left pupil is slightly larger than my right. When light is shone in each they react normal. During the day they look fine. However, very rarely in the mornings my right is slightly bigger than my left. It's typically when my left eye is dry in the morning, and within an hour or so they're back to normal. I'm seeing an opthalmologist in 2 days. Any ideas? My eyes feel healthy and I'm my health is fine.
1 Responses
284078 tn?1282616698
MEDICAL PROFESSIONAL
The name here is anisocoria or difference in pupil size.  See an ophthalmologist to see if there is anything serious.  There are several, harmless causes, and a few serious causes.  Associated double vision or a droopy eyelid are cause for major concern.  You can look up the different causes of aniosocoria including adies pupil, horners syndrome, and third nerve palsy and remember to see an ophthalmologist.
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Find out how beta-blocker eye drops show promising results for acute migraine relief.
Eye whitening, iris color change, and eyeball "bling." Eye expert Dr. John Hagan warns of the dangers from these unnecessary surgeries.
Eye expert John Hagan, MD, FACS, FAAO discusses factors to consider and discuss with your eye care team before embarking on cataract surgery.
Is treating glaucoma with marijuana all hype, or can hemp actually help?
Protect against the leading cause of blindness in older adults
Got dry eyes? Eye drops aren't the only option! Ophthalmologist John C. Hagan III, MD explains other possible treatments.