Eye Care Forum

eye mole

Took my husband to our opthalmologist today for cataract and he mentioned that he had an eye mole and before doing the surgery he is  sending him to an opthalmologist that specializes in retina.  Can you tell me if this is serious and can it be treated
If he is being referred to a retinal specialist from another ophthalmologist, it is possible that it is a significant choroidal nevus (mole or freckle.)  Depending on the size and thickness of the nevus there can be a chance of malignant transformation into a choroidal melanoma which is quite serious and often requires radiation plaque treatment to the eye.  Again, just like a freckle on your skin, it all depends on size and characteristics, to determine if it is dangerous. For every 5000 choroidal nevi we see, maybe 1 at most might be a malignant melanoma.  Now for ones big enough to be referred to a retinal specialist it might be more like 1 in 100.
Find out how beta-blocker eye drops show promising results for acute migraine relief.
Eye whitening, iris color change, and eyeball "bling." Eye expert Dr. John Hagan warns of the dangers from these unnecessary surgeries.
Eye expert John Hagan, MD, FACS, FAAO discusses factors to consider and discuss with your eye care team before embarking on cataract surgery.
Is treating glaucoma with marijuana all hype, or can hemp actually help?
Protect against the leading cause of blindness in older adults
Got dry eyes? Eye drops aren't the only option! Ophthalmologist John C. Hagan III, MD explains other possible treatments.