Family Health Forum

Unpleasant - 'Oily Skin' Body Odor

I have been aware of this 'heavy oily' odor that my husband has had most of the years I have known him.
In the earlier years, it did not offend me (as much!) as it does now.

Now, when I have approached the issue with him, (very very tactfully) he just doesn't seem to want to acknowledge it.

But now it is at a point where I find it unbearable; other people close to us, have commented that they too smell the same odor, yet he doesnt.

I have to take his cloths out of our closet (when he is not home) and wash them because this odor is embedded in all his cloths. I have asked him (ever so delicately) if he would take a shower before coming into bed, but I still smell it.

Is there anything I can buy for him to wash with, that would help eliminate this odor?
Could this be a 'medical condition' that he should follow up with a physician?
Any help or suggestion will greatly be appreciated. I am embarrassed to be in public with him when the odor is quite strong.  

It is difficult to say without evaluation.

One consideration would be excessive sweating.  Bacteria around sweat ducts (i.e. in the groin or axilla area) can lead to body odor.  

Various metabolic diseases can lead to this - specifically thyroid diseases.  This can be checked via a simple blood test.

Prescription anti-perspirants can be considered.  If the symptoms continue, there are more interventional procedures (i.e. Botox injections or surgery) can be considered.

This option can be discussed with his personal physician.

Followup with your personal physician is essential.

This answer is not intended as and does not substitute for medical advice - the information presented is for patient education only. Please see your personal physician for further evaluation of your individual case.

Kevin, M.D.
kevinmd_b
I have oily skin, mostly my face.  I shower twice a day to deal with it, my dermotologist recommends using a gentle face wash because I shower twice a day.  About 4 hours after my shower I can actually make my hands shin if I wipe the oil from my face.

I can smell the odor of my facial oil, is this natural?  I figure if I can smell it then it must be really strong to other people.

Is there anyway to reduce the oil production of your skin?
A related discussion, Oily skin odor on face and scalp was started.
A related discussion, facial skin odor was started.
A related discussion, smelly facial odor was started.
In this unique and fascinating report from Missouri Medicine, world-renowned expert Dr. Raymond Moody examines what really happens when we almost die.
Think a loved one may be experiencing hearing loss? Here are five warning signs to watch for.
When it comes to your health, timing is everything
We’ve got a crash course on metabolism basics.
Learn what you can do to avoid ski injury and other common winter sports injury.
Here are the pros and cons of the top fad diets and weight loss plans of the year.