Food Addiction / Sugar Addiction Forum

food control during breastfeeding child

Hi...i have 2 babies 1 is 2 yrs n 8 months old n other 1 is 9 mnths old..i feed my baby n dont give any other milk but solids...i often use to eat alot..crave for sweets,chocolates,bakery alot..even smtimes i get out of control...my weight is constantly increasing..m 27 n my height is 5.5 inches n my weight is 84..plz hlp me how to cntrol my diet during breastfeeding my child

You may want to direct your question to the expert in obsetrics, but I can say a few things.

Did you know that pregnancy is a very difficult time when it comes to eating?  Pregnancy is a time of hormones gone wild: the increases in estrogen, progesterone and human chorionic gonadotropin lead to insomnia, mood disturbances AND food cravings. At the very least, the pregnant woman has abnormal taste and smell perception, which leads to the intense desire for some foods and aversion to others. Cravings for sweet foods are very typical.

Having abnormal food cravings in pregnancy is very normal. It does not mean you are a food addict if you are craving for sweets. It is an eexample of how hormones can strongly dictate appetite. Typical foods that pregnant (and premenstrual) women share are chocolate, pizza, cheese, even ice, and in some cases mud or dirt or cigarette butts.  These cravings, which can be completely new to a women’s usual diet occur most often in the first trimester.

You are right to be concerned about the effects that your diet may have on the baby. Junk food habits and maternal obesity of the new mother can get passed on to the baby. Unfortunately, studies are suggesting that this type of eating can be transferred to an infant.

The way that you describe how you eat sweets makes me wonder if perhaps you might be a food addict?

See the 20 questions below, and see if they fit your profile of how you eat. If they do, you may have a food addiction. If you think you might be, then the next step is to stop eating the trigger foods – in your case, probably the very sweet  foods that you are craving.

Keep in mind that sugar and carb cravings are as intense as drug cravings, and will require drastic actions. You may even experience a withdrawal: stronger cravings, irritability, agitation, insomnia…. The good news is that if you don’t ‘cheat’ after a few weeks of abstinence, your food cravings will subside.

This is of course much easier said than done. I encourage you to go to my website: addictionsunplugged.com, and find out some resources that will help you quit. There is lots of information as well as resources like 12 step groups. Like with any addiction, it is almost impossible to quit your drug of choice alone! It may feel like you simply cannot resist, and when that feeling comes up, having someone to call to help is essential.

Check out these questions to see if you are addicted to food:

The 20 questions for food addiction:

1. Have you ever wanted to stop eating and found you just couldn’t?

2. Do you think about food or your weight constantly?

3. Do you find yourself attempting one diet or food plan after another, with no lasting success?

4. Do you binge and then “get rid of the binge” through vomiting, exercise, laxatives, or other forms of purging?

5. Do you eat differently in private than you do in front of other people?

6. Has a doctor or family member ever approached you with concern about you're eating habits or weight?

7. Do you eat large quantities of food at one time (binge)?

8. Is your weight problem due to you're “nibbling” all day long?

9. Do you eat to escape from your feelings?

10. Do you eat when you’re not hungry?

11. Have you ever discarded food, only to retrieve and eat it later?

12. Do you eat in secret?

13. Do you fast or severely restrict your food intake?

14. Have you ever stolen other people’s food?

15. Have you ever hidden food to make sure you have “enough?”

16. Do you feel driven to exercise excessively to control your weight?

17. Do you obsessively calculate the calories you’ve burned against the calories you’ve eaten?

18. Do you frequently feel guilty or ashamed about what you’ve eaten?

19. Are you waiting for your life to begin “when you lose the weight?”

20. Do you feel hopeless about your relationship with food?

Copyright © 2000-2010 Food Addicts in Recovery Anonymous

For people with Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD), the COVID-19 pandemic can be particularly challenging.