Foot Care (Podiatry) Forum
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
280234 tn?1532989849

Lump on side of foot...

Hi, I'm a 29 year old female. About a month ago, I noticed a small cyst or lump on the side of my right foot below my ankle. It feels a little bigger than a pea. I have twisted the ankle a couple of times in a certain pair of flip flops I have. When I push in on the lump, it is kind of firm and feels "boney." I seen a dermatologist about it, but she said it felt "boney" and not of the skin. She felt it was a little small to be a ganglion cyst, but really didn't know what it was. She suggested seeing a PCP or orthopedic doctor. I really don't know what kind of doctor I should start with. I'm hoping it is something benign, but if not, I don't wanna have something biopsied that could be malignant. Any ideas as to what kind of lump this probably is? Where should I start first as far as doctors go? Thanks....
5 Responses
681547 tn?1227149574
you need to get an x-ray to see if this is bony in nature.  then, get an mri to get a perspective on what this tissue content may be.  it could be a spur, cyst:ganglion,nerve, fat. or it could be malignant: synovial sarcoma.
a needle aspiration biopsy can help identify this lesion if it is soft tissue in nature.
i would go see a podiatric surgeon or orthopedist.
Avatar universal
You should have it evaluated by and orthopedic doc or a podiatrist. To say you don't want to have something biopsied because it could be malignant is crazy, that is WHY you want to have something biopsied, to make sure it's NOT malignant. If you have just recently noticed it then perhaps it is in the early stages of develpment. Have it looked at, it's probably nothing but if on the other hand it's something serious, you definitely want to catch it in the early stages rather than later when it could be to late.
280234 tn?1532989849
What I meant was, yes, I would definitely want it biopsied, but by the right doctor. I would not want to have the thing messed with by someone who didn't know what they were doing. I want to make sure I go to the right doctor first, and maybe get an x-ray first, etc. If it looks suspicious, then get a biopsy.... I didn't mean that I didn't want it biopsied at all.
280234 tn?1532989849
By the way, I myself am an LPN, but am not a doctor and can't diagnose myself in this situation. I understand the importance of biopsies.
280234 tn?1532989849
Ok, thanks. I have already made an appointment with an orthopedic surgeon.
Popular Resources
Find out if PRP therapy right for you.
Tips for preventing one of the most common types of knee injury.
Tips and moves to ease backaches
How to bounce back fast from an ankle sprain - and stay pain free.
Patellofemoral pain and what to do about it.
A list of national and international resources and hotlines to help connect you to needed health and medical services.