Foot Care (Podiatry) Forum

Quality Walking Shoe?

Hi there,

I always have had relatively low arched feet. Due to my low arches, I've always purchased footwear with little/no arch support as high arched shoes kill the inner [low] arches of my feet.

Having 4 children and in having gained [too much] weight to boot, I experience a great deal of shin pain while walking. I always have (even when very fit) but just shrugged it off.
As I've grown older and heavier though- it has become worse. This doesn't make for inspiration to get out and walk 'it' off. Which is exactly what I need and want to do.

At any rate, I need a quality walking shoe but I don't know the difference between one shoe and the next. I do have a pair of Sketchers Shape-ups which do nothing as advertised but are comfortable (absorbs shock well.)
I would like a shoe without the "rocking" motion though. Would you recommend a brand and their model of a shoe that would suit my needs?

Given that I live in a remote community (island in Alaska)-I do not have access to a Podiatrist or shoe stores. Any suggestions that you can offer would be greatly appreciated!

Sincerely,
~Kate
Brooks runnin shoes are great. they add comfort and support.  go to brooksrunning.com and choose a support running shoe.  you will be very happy with them
Thank you for you reply. I am going to the brooksrunning.com site now. I really appreciate this.

Sincerely,
~Kate
Update, I just ordered the "Brooks Women's Adrenaline ASR 7" running shoe and am considering in purchasing their "Ariel" shoe at a later time (offering "maximum" support/control) but am first opting for the shoe that is recommended via their, "Shoe Advisor."

Thanks again. I look forward to seeing how these shoes work out for me.
Foot Care (Podiatry) Forum
Tips for preventing one of the most common types of knee injury.
Tips and moves to ease backaches
How to bounce back fast from an ankle sprain - and stay pain free.
Patellofemoral pain and what to do about it.
How eating more salt may actually save your life.