Gastroenterology Community

Mild chronic pancreatitis

My Dr. said I may have mild chronic pancreatitis. Does anyone know exacactly what this is?
How did he come up with that?  What tests did he do and what are your symptoms?
I was diagnosed with acute pancreatitis last January and was hospitalized five times since then with smouldering pancreatitis. I am on Ultram 20 and four omeprazole 20mg daily. I have lost forty pounds this year,probably due to no alcohol and change of diet.
Thanks Margie I have nagging pain almost everyday, sometimes in my stomach and sometimes in my back, I am being very careful with what I eat, No fried foods and low to no fatty foods. Last summer I realized I was getting addicted to pain meds so I stopped taking any narcotics. I have good days and bad ones.
Did he do any labs or any other tests at all?

I have been going through the same thing for 2 months now, and no one can tell me what it is. I have pain in upper left abdomen and my back, between my shoulder blades.

I've had an ultrasound, cat scan, endoscopy, colonoscopy, hida scan and bone scan.  Plus all of my labs are normal!!  I've also been to 6 different doctors.  My amylase and lipase have been checked 5 times too.
Yes Ive had labs done and also all of the other test you've had done. My lipase was slightly elevated the last time wich was about a month ago.             Do you have any pain after you eat?
No, I don't have any pain after eating.  Do you?  The reason that he did diagnose you is because your lipase was elevated.  That usually does mean pancreatitis.  Do you drink alcohol at all?  If ot, does he know what caused it?  Were all of your other tests normal?
Learn which OTC medications can help relieve your digestive troubles.
Is a gluten-free diet right for you?
Discover common causes of and remedies for heartburn.
This common yet mysterious bowel condition plagues millions of Americans
Don't get burned again. Banish nighttime heartburn with these quick tips
Get answers to your top questions about this pervasive digestive problem