General Surgery Community
323 Members

Is it normal that surgical clips are being pushed out of my surgical scar?

I had a sentinel lymph node biopsy and a lymph node dissection.  Five months later the surgical clips are being pushed out of my surgery scar.  Is this normal?

One surgical clip fully came out on it's own and another is starting to come out.  I'm not doing anything to force the clips out.  The surgery was performed on the group of lymph nodes in my right armpit.
Hello and welcome to MedHelp's forums  Thanks for your questions. You are saying that surgical clips were left in and are now coming out 5 months after surgery? Just clarifying. Surgical clips on the skin's surface are always removed but those left in the body do not have to be.  However, with the development of their pushing out now through the incision site, you need to call the surgeon that performed the surgery for guidance. If your clips have become dislodged, you would need to address this.  Do you have pain at all?     It's not uncommon for surgical clips to be left but at this time, you need to speak with your doctor with the latest development.